Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going into 2nd month of owning male and female husky litter mates. They are almosts 4 months old. Wondering if anyone out there can give summary of owning two pups at once? Our vet advised us to seperate them, different rooms, different kennels etc...In our household that is not realistic. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Hi and welcome

It is very important you train them, crate them, walk them, etc etc as separately as you can. Litermates kept together too much tend to develop violent separation anxiety when they cannot be together.

Raising Siblings

http://buddyschance.typepad.com/positive_dog_training_blo/2007/04/adopting_litter.html

why do you have littermates? To be completely honest, this is a task not for the faint of heart...rehoming one is the usual recommendation.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
The only thing I want to stress on top of Crios great advice and links is ALTER ALTER ALTER. I have heard of litter mates having puppies which is horrible so just something I think should be considered when they are old enough.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
We decided on litter mates as we are going to train them to skijorn and bikejorn and wanted two for the job. Also what about people who have multiple dogs for activities such as these?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
We decided on litter mates as we are going to train them to skijorn and bikejorn and wanted two for the job. Also what about people who have multiple dogs for activities such as these?
Well with huskies, they are likely going to take to it naturally, you would need to teach them directions and start/stop/slower/faster cues... Its not hard to teach for a dog that likes to run/pull. :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
288 Posts
Even if you hve multipule dogs for sledding purposes, even the most avid experienced mushers tend to keep their dogs kenneled seperately to avoid overattachment issues. The only dogs that I know of that are worked and openly kenneled together are hounds.

Dealing with 2 pups at the same time is going to be difficult. Like other poster have said, train seperately at first until you have each dog spot on with their commands, then train them together if they are going to be a pulling team. Seperate them in the house with baby gates (stacked 2 high if they jump them) to seperate them. A co-dependant dog is not fun and will not be happy when alone. You really do need to make it a point to make them as independant as possible.

The easiest way that I know of for training commands is lots and lots of leash walking at first. Putting a command with every direction (and of course lots of praise and reward), you turn left, you say left (or whatever key word you're going to use),same thing goes for start, stop, right, whatever direction they're gonna need to know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for the feedback on all this. We know it will be difficult but we are going to separate them. I'll keep you updated as to the progress. It is really hepful to have other experienced dog people to bounce stuff like this off of. In the mean time are there any other useful blogs I can read?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Thanks so much for the feedback on all this. We know it will be difficult but we are going to separate them. I'll keep you updated as to the progress. It is really hepful to have other experienced dog people to bounce stuff like this off of. In the mean time are there any other useful blogs I can read?
When I got one of these to exercise my dogs
Diggler - Dog Scooters & Scootering Accessories
I looked it up on utube and there were lots of useful training tips on
biking scootering and sledding. My 2 learned very quickly and
wow what fun it is for all of us. You can teach them the words now on leash
so they will be ready for the fun.
Easy!: the command for the dogs to slow down.
Gee - the command for the dogs to turn right.
Haw - the command for the dogs to turn left.
Hike! - the command to get the dog team moving.
On By!: the command to go by another team or other distraction.
Whoa: the command to get the dog team to stop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much and it is a relief to know that we can get a balance in our lives with our new pups....meaning that we can seperate them on walks, feeding and training and know that we don't have to keep them apart 24/7.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts