Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HDH... anyone ever seen this? I think our Tess has had it twice now. She just ran herself right out of gas. After a HUGE run, with lots to be excited about (birds, ducks etc.) and after not having eaten as much food that day as normal (she gets finicky) she more or less starts stumbling and not making much sense. Her eyes kinda get squinty and she gets real cold and miserable feeling, curls right up on a lap or couch and does not want to move. The first time it happened, I put honey on her gums, which brought her around enough that she was willing to eat. After eating an enormous amount of food, and sleeping for a while, she started to recover. By the next day, after a night under the covers in our bed (!) she was back to normal.

This has happened twice in 4 months. I'm reading about this and I'm pretty sure this has been hunting dog hypoglycemia. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I plan to get one of those glucose meters that I hear you can buy w/out a prescription. So next time she crashes, I can test her blood.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I hear hypoglycemia is also common in toy/small breeds too, but apparently its a fairly common thing in hunting dogs too. Maybe its because they have been selectively bred to be incredibly driven to seek birds, so they just blast right through any normal fatigue and keep going, until they totally burn up all their glycogen storage. Here's an article I found that seems to match Tessa's symptoms very well.
Living with Birddogs: Hunting Dog Hypoglycemia

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
HDH... anyone ever seen this? I think our Tess has had it twice now. She just ran herself right out of gas. After a HUGE run, with lots to be excited about (birds, ducks etc.) and after not having eaten as much food that day as normal (she gets finicky) she more or less starts stumbling and not making much sense. Her eyes kinda get squinty and she gets real cold and miserable feeling, curls right up on a lap or couch and does not want to move. The first time it happened, I put honey on her gums, which brought her around enough that she was willing to eat. After eating an enormous amount of food, and sleeping for a while, she started to recover. By the next day, after a night under the covers in our bed (!) she was back to normal.

This has happened twice in 4 months. I'm reading about this and I'm pretty sure this has been hunting dog hypoglycemia. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I plan to get one of those glucose meters that I hear you can buy w/out a prescription. So next time she crashes, I can test her blood.
I have to stop my hound from doing that you have to know when to say no more. Maybe take some high protein snacks and have her stop every once in a while and have a rest and snack. They seem to have to expend a lot of energy when its cold to stay warm. Do you find it happened when its cold.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to stop my hound from doing that you have to know when to say no more. Maybe take some high protein snacks and have her stop every once in a while and have a rest and snack. They seem to have to expend a lot of energy when its cold to stay warm. Do you find it happened when its cold.
This latest incident happened after she went full charge after some ducks in the water, when outdoor temps were about 40 degrees. She had also had a huge run earlier in the day, and had not eaten her breakfast fully.

Yes, I think dips in cold water make it more likely. My behaviorist friend says it does something to their circulation...

You're right... I have to say "enough" because she does not know when to stop! ;-)

·
Registered
31 Posts
My small dog gets hypoglycemic very often. It pasts very quickly though becasue of a medicine paste I use for her called Nutrical. I strongly suggest it, you will be very happy with the results!

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Tess,
None of our dogs have suffered from this that I can recall, although they are generally tired when we get back from a day of hunting. (That doesn't mean they'll just go lay down, though; sometimes they continue to run around at home... Crazy dogs).

But I second the Nutrical; we keep it on hand for cases when our dogs may just need a little extra something. You could also make little meatballs loaded with honey and give her a small one before/during/or after your outings. Pedialite and gatorade can be given for electrolytes, with the latter maybe helping with energy, as it's sugary.

If I come across anything more about this, I'll pass it along!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had my dog shivering before but I'm not sure why. I offered her food and water when that didn't work I just put her under a blanket and kept her under watch. Low blood sugar causes this?

·
Registered
180 Posts
they have some high energy protein bars you ccan get for them while working. they work well. A friend of mine has a some bird dogs that used to do the same. he uses the energy bars in the field and has gad no problems since.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had my dog shivering before but I'm not sure why. I offered her food and water when that didn't work I just put her under a blanket and kept her under watch. Low blood sugar causes this?
Well I think just being cold, is a different thing. Although low blood sugar in cold weather will lead to increased chill!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Low blood sugar can cause shivering

1 - 11 of 11 Posts