Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I appreciate any insight to what is going on with my little guy, Sam.

Here is a quick history:
I adopted Sam about 2 years ago... he was 3. He is a hairless breed (looks like a big Chinese Crested) and is 18 pounds of lean, muscular dog. He is typically a wildman - very active, very agile, somewhat a picky eater (Chicken is his food of choice and will not go near dry food), healty and strong. He will lick up and eat anything on the floor or in the yard including hair, sticks, dirt, mulch, etc...

September 2011: Sammy wears clothes since he is hairless, usually stretchy knit or fleece pjs. I had bought him a halloween costume that he wore for a full day that fit a little more snuggly than his usual clothes... he hunched his back the next day, whined in pain, but slept it off in a day. He was back to normal the next day. I blamed the snug outfit for causing this pain, initially.

November 2011: Suddenly, Sam was walking hunched over, holding his belly muscles tight and yelping... pacing the floors with his head down and unable to relax...I brought him to the vet, they ran xrays which showed nothing, but put him on an anti-inflamatory, a muscle relaxer and a pain killer because they thought he displayed all the signs of back/neck pain due to what they felt was a disc problem. His pain / problem persisted into December He ate pretty regularly, although he was spoon fed, because he was reluctant to move his neck up or down. At first, the doc said for me to make chicken and rice to feed him... only after I had to go back to work and switched him to his regular dog food, did he recover.

2 days ago: Suddenly, Sam was back down, pacing the floors, hunching his back, yelping in pain, holding his belly muscles tight. Similar symptoms to what he had in November, but this time he will not eat anything and now he has been trembling. I brought him to his doctor yesterday again, and they prescribed the same prescriptions (anti inflamatory, pain killer and muscle relaxer), as they believe it is still a disc problem. He is refusing food so badly right now that I cannot even get the meds into him (will not eat cream cheese, liver, peanut butter, chicken.. nothing...)

I am not convinced, but I am not a doctor. I finally put something together that occurred each time prior to the "hunched back, yelping" situation he has been experiencing, and that is that I fed him cooked rice the day before the onset of symptoms.... I have fed him rice, only on 3 occasions since I adopted him (except where the doc had told me to feed it to him), and the next day after eating the rice, Sam has issues.

Am I crazy to think that the rice is causing him problems? I think that his abdomen is causing the hunching of his back...the doctor does not think so because he said that the dog would likely be vomiting or have the runs... he did have a pretty normal poop yesterday in the vet's office, but will identifyable food (some corn and veggies that did not digest) that were mixed in from the rice meal i gave him 3 days ago . I will never feed my little guy rice ever again, but I would like to know if anyone else has ever had a similar experience....

Maybe I am over analyzing this... any help in diagnoses, similar situations, etc., is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Hunched back can indeed be a sign of an upset stomach.

However, the yelping in pain part sounds a lot more like a disc to me. In medicine, you eliminate the worst possibility, before settling on the lesser cause. Therefore, it makes sense to treat this as the emergency it is, if it is a back issue. You just don't want to fool around with back issues.

I would follow the vet's advice for the back treatment. If he gets better, fabulous. And you can try never feeding him rice and if he never gets another symptom like this, you can guess it was the rice.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Refusing food is another clue that could be from either cause as well. Really, this is a conundrum!

Trembling is yet another clue that could go both ways!

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
I'm hard pressed to think that the rice is the issue though it is very interesting that there seems to be a connection.

As mentioned, it could absolutely be an abdominal issue (could he have eaten something he shouldn't have-- could he have an obstruction?) or could be a disc issue. Did they palpate his back and get a pain response? Did they do any bloodwork?

I think it may be time for you to get a second opinion.

·
Banned
794 Posts
I appreciate any insight to what is going on with my little guy, Sam.

Here is a quick history:
I adopted Sam about 2 years ago... he was 3. He is a hairless breed (looks like a big Chinese Crested) and is 18 pounds of lean, muscular dog. He is typically a wildman - very active, very agile, somewhat a picky eater (Chicken is his food of choice and will not go near dry food), healty and strong. He will lick up and eat anything on the floor or in the yard including hair, sticks, dirt, mulch, etc...

September 2011: Sammy wears clothes since he is hairless, usually stretchy knit or fleece pjs. I had bought him a halloween costume that he wore for a full day that fit a little more snuggly than his usual clothes... he hunched his back the next day, whined in pain, but slept it off in a day. He was back to normal the next day. I blamed the snug outfit for causing this pain, initially.

November 2011: Suddenly, Sam was walking hunched over, holding his belly muscles tight and yelping... pacing the floors with his head down and unable to relax...I brought him to the vet, they ran xrays which showed nothing, but put him on an anti-inflamatory, a muscle relaxer and a pain killer because they thought he displayed all the signs of back/neck pain due to what they felt was a disc problem. His pain / problem persisted into December He ate pretty regularly, although he was spoon fed, because he was reluctant to move his neck up or down. At first, the doc said for me to make chicken and rice to feed him... only after I had to go back to work and switched him to his regular dog food, did he recover.

2 days ago: Suddenly, Sam was back down, pacing the floors, hunching his back, yelping in pain, holding his belly muscles tight. Similar symptoms to what he had in November, but this time he will not eat anything and now he has been trembling. I brought him to his doctor yesterday again, and they prescribed the same prescriptions (anti inflamatory, pain killer and muscle relaxer), as they believe it is still a disc problem. He is refusing food so badly right now that I cannot even get the meds into him (will not eat cream cheese, liver, peanut butter, chicken.. nothing...)

I am not convinced, but I am not a doctor. I finally put something together that occurred each time prior to the "hunched back, yelping" situation he has been experiencing, and that is that I fed him cooked rice the day before the onset of symptoms.... I have fed him rice, only on 3 occasions since I adopted him (except where the doc had told me to feed it to him), and the next day after eating the rice, Sam has issues.

Am I crazy to think that the rice is causing him problems? I think that his abdomen is causing the hunching of his back...the doctor does not think so because he said that the dog would likely be vomiting or have the runs... he did have a pretty normal poop yesterday in the vet's office, but will identifyable food (some corn and veggies that did not digest) that were mixed in from the rice meal i gave him 3 days ago . I will never feed my little guy rice ever again, but I would like to know if anyone else has ever had a similar experience....

Maybe I am over analyzing this... any help in diagnoses, similar situations, etc., is greatly appreciated.
Are you cooking the rice long enough? If your dog eat undercooked rice then drink water the rice could swell up inside him. And that would be very painful. Dogs have a smaller digestive system than people can they can't digest veggies the way we do. The veggies has to cuts in very small pieces or grind up , and I would not give a dog too much veggies at one time . That can made him very gassy, are feeding your dog any meet too?
I would stop feeding your corn and only feed him a couple of veggies at time. Does your vet know what the dog is eating??

·
Registered
5,919 Posts

·
Banned
794 Posts
I think it might be time to find a chiropractor. The 2 chiropractors that I have had over the past 20 years have treated dogs. If you don't go to a chiropractor here is a link to help find one for your dog if you choose to.
Animal Chiropractic - Find an AVCA certified doctor to adjust your horse, dog, cat or exotic.
this is an article about the benefits of chiropractic care
Dog Chiropractic Therapy - An Option for Your Dog?
The dog is only 18 lbs , I would careful about bringing it to a chiropractor.
And it being feed a lot of veggies , I think would try cutting back on the veggies and made sure they're cut up small as the dog is pooping all the veggies out and not really getting any nutrition from the veggies.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the comments....it is appreciated.

The dog does not typically eat veggies, at all...just regular wet dog food. I ran out of dog food the other morning and cooked up a steamfresh rice that had a little corn and peas in it, mixed it with chicken and fed it to both of my dogs... he eats canned food daily with special treats of cooked chicken.

I am taking him back to his vet again this evening... things seem to be getting worse and he is refusing food...actually turning his head when his "favorites" are presented. I still think it is something "abdominal" going on... also, wanted to note that his eyes are a bit goopy, which is very unusual for him....

thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sam is home sleeping - he went to the doc and he gave him a shot of pain killer and anti inflamatory since he will not take it orally, and it has knocked him out completely. Tonight he saw his regular doc who was much more thorough than the associate vet who treated Sam last night. The doctor is convinced that the problem is his neck, or a cervical disc, that is extremely painful and possibly ruptured.... I am making an appointment with the neiurologist tomorrow, hoping they can see him before the weekend, then I can hopefully learn more and make this little dog comfortable....poor little guy.

·
Banned
794 Posts
Sam is home sleeping - he went to the doc and he gave him a shot of pain killer and anti inflamatory since he will not take it orally, and it has knocked him out completely. Tonight he saw his regular doc who was much more thorough than the associate vet who treated Sam last night. The doctor is convinced that the problem is his neck, or a cervical disc, that is extremely painful and possibly ruptured.... I am making an appointment with the neiurologist tomorrow, hoping they can see him before the weekend, then I can hopefully learn more and make this little dog comfortable....poor little guy.
I hope you get your dog to the neurologist before the weekend! The poor little boy. Do you have any pain med if you can't get Sam to the neurologist
right away?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes... he was prescribed Buprenex that I can give orally (liquid via syringe to administer between his cheek and gums) every 6-8 hours. This pain killer seems a lot more potent than the Tramadol he was taking before since he is still knocked out. Thanks for the good thoughts!

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Screaming in pain does tend to go along with neck discs, as the dog gets a sharp jab every time he moves.

·
Banned
794 Posts
Yes... he was prescribed Buprenex that I can give orally (liquid via syringe to administer between his cheek and gums) every 6-8 hours. This pain killer seems a lot more potent than the Tramadol he was taking before since he is still knocked out. Thanks for the good thoughts!
It he eating any better , I hope so , taking med with no food could hard on his little belly. I hate seeing animals and people in pain.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I agree this kind of pain is consistent with a disc, but to be thorough..... Have you ever had bloodwork done? Do you put anything on the rice (ie: butter/oil)? pancreatitis can mimic back pain sometimes.....
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
What conditions did your dogs have that the chiropractor helped with?
I used to board a Aussie that the owner over worked with a frisbee. She would get a hunched posture and just look miserable. I would take her in looking like she could barely walk in and walk out with a bouncy dog so happy to be out of pain. I have taken many dogs for a variety of mishaps. Most were things like the dog runs and jumps the wrong way and pulls something in his or her back much like a human would, or is running and a foot hits a gofer whole comes up with a limp. They use something called an activator to adjust them they dont manipulate the spine with their hands. video from a vet helps explain treatment

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.