Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taught him a strong off, and "off" and pulling in my leg will get him ogg, but he's back 1 min after. My leg is brused. He gets plenty of training, play and walking so I don't think it's a lack of stimulation. It happens in the evening more when I am busy...maybe trying to get attention?

·
Registered
662 Posts
It is a drive to make contact, so yes it could be said he is trying to get your attention. The urge to bite, which is fundamental to canines as they are designed by Nature to connect to their environment primarily through their teeth and jaws. I wonder if perhaps you dog's urge to bite was repressed in his oral development phase? So give him an outlet where his urge to connect is satisfied via his teeth and jaws. That would be a toy to bite on and have him bring it to you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He isn't using his teeth. His nails are leaving bruises when he humps. He can dig in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Omk, I re- read the post. I see what you're saying. He'll do it when we're playing fetch.
We had the puppy hippies, and he had lots of chew toys and natural chews. He might need more chew stuff.
Does this go away when they are neutered?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Omk, I re- read the post. I see what you're saying. He'll do it when we're playing fetch.
We had the puppy hippies, and he had lots of chew toys and natural chews. He might need more chew stuff.
It isn't about chew toys, it is about getting to connect via the bite, to do this I would suggest playing 90% tug and 10 % fetch --always let him win, but play vigorously so he is knocked off balance a bit. Lying down chewing on a kong isn't going to satisfy his needs.

No, it likely won't go away when neutered. In fact, it will probably get worse.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts

Sounds like it may be overstimulation. What I did when my terrier mix did that with other dogs was to end the play. With him it was a safety concern since humping can be strongly objected to by other dogs and can start a fight. Humping ended play each and every time he tried it.

My new boy also humps and I'm content to leave him be since the object of his "affection" is a pillow that's his alone. It's the one and only thing he humps and I suspect two reasons for it. 1. It feels good. He'll hump it at different times of the day when nothing is going on. 2. It's an outlet for stress or anxiety. He'll hump it when he knows I'm leaving. Since he's not targeting people or dogs, and sticks to humping the pillow, I see no reason to try and stop him.

Since your boy is targeting your leg, and, if I'm right, is doing so due to over stimulation. The easiest thing may be to stop playing as soon as he goes to mount your leg, if possible walk out of reach of him, if not ignore him, give him a chance to calm down, then try playing again. Be very consistent about it, so that he knows that humping gets the game to stop, and him ignored, at minimum. You can also try to redirect him onto a toy, or into a more appropriate behavior, or a combo of stopping play and redirecting. Experiment and see what works, BUT try each thing for at least a couple weeks. Don't jump from method to method giving each only a few days or you'll wind up with a very confused dog who is still doing the bad behavior.

Neutering is not likely to help. My terrier mix was neutered, and my new dog is neutered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts