Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question..

On Holidays and special occasions we will give our dogs a treat like a Can of Corned Beef Hash or Roast Beef Hash, or some chopped up ham.. they love it, they don't have diarrhea like they do with most brands of wet dog food.

They also eat cheese, and peanut butter. The regular diet is hard dog food, either Iams or Hills Science diet. I have heard good things about Blue Buffalo, but it's expensive.

Just curious is there anyone else that will give a treat to dogs on special occasions that is not normally part of their diet?

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Hi there! Welcome to DF!

I use cheese when training and fill Kongs with Peanut Butter or yogurt.

The hash and ham are high in sodium so I would probably opt for something else or at least make sure it's a very small amount.

I'll give blueberries and baby carrots as treats as well.

Regarding the dog food- if you ask 5 different people to pick the best dog food, you'll get 5 different answers. I currently feed Wellness CORE but am switching over to Earthborn. Personally, I would never feed Blue Buffalo- too many recalls for my liking. I would also never feed Iams, Purina, Hills or anything else found in a grocery store or Walmart. If you're interested in reading up on different foods, dogfoodadvisor.com is a good resource. At the end of the day, we do the best we can (within our budget) for our pups :)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I will admit I do share occasionally with my dogs but the always get very little bites. Usually its fruits or veggies I share the most. One of my personal rules of thumb is if there's any seasoning on it I don't give it to them especially since it could contain things that aren't good for them. My guys also love peanut butter and cheese, though I don't give them much cheese because to much upsets one of my guys stomachs, as for peanut butter I usually use it only in kongs or occasionaly give them a tiny bit for a treat. They also get yogurt but mostly in their kongs.
Also I agree with Aspen about the dog food.

·
Registered
813 Posts
My dogs will occasionally get cooked leftover vegetables - carrots, peas, sweetcorn, green beans. They love slices of raw cucumber :D or apple.

Sometimes little bit of cheese or ham in training. Otherwise for training or just treating I use cooked (unprocessed) meat, liver, heart or kidney. I hardly ever give processed foods because of the high salt/preservatives/additives content and I don't eat a lot of these foods myself so don't normally have them in the house.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
On the holidays Jayne always gets a little plate of dinner that contains a little portion of each dog friendly food that we're eating on it. Honestly, we're kind of suckers, even when it's not a holiday. At dinner time Jayne and all three cats gather around and wait for their little piece of meat. I will admit that my dog will usually get a little morsel of whatever I'm eating, assuming it's dog friendly. I wouldn't feed a whole can of hash, though. A spoonful (at most) maybe, but not a whole can.

Just make sure you're keeping an eye on your dogs weight and overall health (skin, eyes, coat), not just stool, when it comes to food, both of the human and canine variety.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
On special occasions, it's probably fine but like was said earlier, watch the salt in canned and processed meats and meat products.

As far as the food, Iams, Hills, and even Purina are low quality. In my opinion, if I were going to feed kibble I would probably go with Taste Of The Wild. It has good ingredients, and is one that can be rotated with each bag purchased to be able to feed a different protein each time. It's also affordable.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Quick question..

On Holidays and special occasions we will give our dogs a treat like a Can of Corned Beef Hash or Roast Beef Hash, or some chopped up ham.. they love it, they don't have diarrhea like they do with most brands of wet dog food.

They also eat cheese, and peanut butter. The regular diet is hard dog food, either Iams or Hills Science diet. I have heard good things about Blue Buffalo, but it's expensive.

Just curious is there anyone else that will give a treat to dogs on special occasions that is not normally part of their diet?
We give our dog a carrot now and again. He loves them and it is good for his teeth.

·
Banned
283 Posts
I'm new here.
Our dog is a collie now about two years old.
He is a good boy with just a few. quirks that we are ironing out.
This is he in his smart tux

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Who needs a special occassion? Whatever I'm eating, as long as it is a food that is ok for dogs, Molly gets! I do have to be stingy on the amount though, as she tends to gain weight easily. Mollyknows that whatever I am having for dinner, I will save the last bite for her and she waits patiently for the "OK Molly"
She's a carboholic just like me, and her fav is Pasta Alfredo! Hahaha!!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
There are only a few food that are "bad" and/or toxic for dogs...some may have digestive reactions but in general as long as you are feeding food from what I call the outside perimeter of the supermarket (ie: no processed foods) it is more just a case of personal preference.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It really depends on what is meant by "human food"... I make my dogs food with a variety of meats, veggies, and fruits the majority of the time, so yeah, she eats human food all the time. However human junk food or highly processed foods, no, those are just once in awhile treats, if it's dog safe.
As for kibble, I feed her Taste of the Wild because it's the best dog food I can afford at the moment. It wouldn't be if that's all I fed her though(my funds are limited), but because it's just once in a long while a five pound bag will last over a month.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts