Dog Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Labrador is 11 years old and he has developed a large wart on his chest area. It has been growing for the past one year. We tried homeopathic treatment for it but didn’t work. Now the vet’s suggesting surgery and I am worried if the dog could handle it. The docs opinion is that it appears to be benign but either way it has to be removed. Need suggestions.
Hand Gesture Finger Fawn Nail
Hand Gesture Finger Fawn Nail

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would the vet be able to remove it using a sedative rather than a full anaesthetic? I have no idea if that is possible but it's worth asking the question.
Thanks for replying. The doc says there’s a chance he’d need general anaesthetic for this as the dog could get agitated causing problems for him to operate or if the local anaesthetic doesn't work which is worrisome.

·
Super Moderator
7,211 Posts
I believe there is a type of sedative drug delivered by an injection that puts the dog into sleep, and is reversed with a different drug at the end of the process, but is still gentler than an anaesthetic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe there is a type of sedative drug delivered by an injection that puts the dog into sleep, and is reversed with a different drug at the end of the process, but is still gentler than an anaesthetic.
Okay I’ll check it out and get a second opinion based on this knowledge thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Great advice already given above. Yes, there definitely are drugs that can be given to sedate and then reversed when the surgery is finished. It may not be enough to sedate him for a lump removal of this scale, but definitely worth exploring.

I also recommend ask for preanesthetic bloods before any kind of sedation. This way you can get an idea of how his organs, especially his kidneys, will handle the drugs. IV fluids throughout and during recovery should help support him as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great suggestions! Appreciate your help!
I am trying to find non-surgical methods for wart removal. Surgery is something I really want to avoid given his age.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
As MaiseyandGem said, you can test their vitals before anesthetic. That will help the vets assess how safe it is to put your dog under. My late girl had her teeth done at 11YO, we tested her vitals and vet performed no issue. They monitored her throughout the surgery and IV fluids.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for your help and kindness all!…my dog’s blood work came in and he is a healthy old lab, no kidney, liver issues and based on your helpful suggestions and veterinary opinions I will proceed with the surgery path in couple days.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Thank you for your help and kindness all!…my dog’s blood work came in and he is a healthy old lab, no kidney, liver issues and based on your helpful suggestions and veterinary opinions I will proceed with the surgery path in couple days.
I think that is the wisest decision. You have to make decisions based on available information, and you did get professional information and recommendations from your Vet. In medicine, there can never be guarantees, however in your case, your due diligence indicates that the risk is minimal. Let us know how he does.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I am glad that your dog's bloodwork came back great. Full anesthesia although it sounds scary is no doubt required for the removal of such a large growth. They will monitor him while under and can control how deep the anesthesia it. Plus, he will be on oxygen throughout the procedure. Having it removed now before it becomes a problem is wise. Let us know how he does.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts