Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not me, my dog that is...She's a healthy, loving, 8 year old Rot+Shep+APBT and she howls almost every night. she weighs 95 pounds and has a massive chest, so it sounds like an air-raid siren. She sometimes howls multiple times over one night. She usually wakes up mid-howl, but never gets up- she just goes back to sleep. I'm a light sleeper so it's rough on me, but the rest of the family has gotten used to it. I used to throw a pillow at her- but nowadays I just let her go at it- 4-6 rounds, with breaths in between, 6 to 8 seconds each.
I would call it "chronic" howling. I've had other dogs (Doberman, Akita) who would howl when I used loud, high RPM power tools on a job site, but this dog doesn't do that.
We do have wolves where I live, but she howled while in our previous home where coyotes were common. She never howled (with) the coyotes, but became visually excited when she heard it.
I can relate to being a vivid dreamer- but this is extreme...

·
Registered
13 Posts
If this howling is becoming a nuisance, perhaps you should contact your dog's vet and see if there are any remedies to this.

Sometimes our dog will cry or whine in his sleep, but I don't think he's ever howled while sleeping. I wonder what they dream about that makes them do this. Haha.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Mine does this! My girl! I thought it was really weird, so I rang the vet and they said if she was tensing or spasming or anything it could be a siezure, but if it was just howling to best just leave it unless it's becoming a nuisance. I like it, but it scares teh CRAP out of me when she does it! I shake her, I try to wake her up, call her name, nothing rouses her until a good few howls are done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts