Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am potty training my puppies for indoors and am thinking about investing in washable potty pads. The disposable ones are kind of expensive and I worry about the environment when I throw them away. I am a new puppy parent and don't have much experience. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
how about a doggy litter box?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
My biggest piece of advice would be to ditch the puppy pad training all together and potty train outside. This way they won't get confused about where to go in the house, they'll go on walks, and they will go outside if you're visiting somebody. Not to mention, pad training has to be very specific and precise in order to prevent the dog eliminating itself on your floor. If you're a first time puppy owner, classic outdoor training might be easier.

If you're getting washable ones, make sure to get a couple so you'll have one when the other is washing. It's probably cost efficient in the long run, but I'd worry some dogs might not like the smell of it after it's been washed.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I used the washable/hospital bed pads to train my chihuahuas to. Like patron mentioned though, they do not distinguish the difference between a pad and a throw rug. I had to retrain all the ones I trained to pad to go outside. When I was staying in an apartment I trained them to go on the patio where I put cedar shavings.

If you do train to a pad just be sure not to have any carpet or throw rugs. I know a company you can get 10 pads for $15. They are used from hospitals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.