Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been trying now for a few weeks to try the capture an actuon, click and treat. I'm trying to train bow by capturing because when I try to train him, he automatically goes right into the laydown position and then he'll get to the point where he will roll over or lay on his side and paw at my treat in my hand, because he doesn't know what I want so he throws me anything.

So I figured I might as well try the capture and treat. It's a great idea, but kuma doesn't seem to realize why I am clicking.

He knows I have the treats and clicker. He will go to his bed and eventually nap. When he gets up, he will do the down stretch and I'd clicker and treat.

But then, he doesn't seem to realize that him going into a bow is what I want and will go up on his hind legs and sniff around me or on the floor and he doesn't seem to understand what I want.

Do you know anyway I can train the bow a different way? Help
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
871 Posts
I just taught Aayla to bow! She rarely does it for play or stretching so I couldn't just capture it.

So I did luring with her. She was really good with luring before I started this. Pretty much I can have her nose glued to my hand and lead her like that.
I use my left arm as a 'bar' (holding the clicker with left hand) and lured her with my right hand under the bar. Soon as she went into the bow position to crawl under my arm I clicked and encouraged her to get right back up. (By a toy - play tug, clap, get excited, back up, something) Then once she got that I started luring (nose to ground) and raising the bar arm higher and higher. Till I removed it.

Sometimes she still goes straight into a down and gets frustrated when she is told to stand and try again. So I would reward little tiny tries of she started to go down with her front and kept her rear up, click and reward. It doesn't have to be the full position to reward.

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luring is great, but kuma quickly goes into a down, however, I will try the arm as a bar. I did not think of that. Thanks I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
880 Posts
I did all Truckers commands using capture training. He thinks he is training me this way. It means I catch him doing it 3 times maybe and he has got it down because he wants those treats.

Down and Bow must sound similar though because he sometimes gets them confused. If I wait he figures out I am asking for the other one and corrects himself. Bow if we don't practice for a couple days he looks confused when I ask for it so I can say Bow and then lean over with my arms straight and he will mimic.

Trucker's Bow:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eeps so cute. Well, I managed to try out the technique and it failed. He either tried to get it over my arm or went right into a laydown.

So I improvised by using my let/feet under him and lured him down into a bow with worked. So it is the same basic idea, just improvised. Thanks again tuckersmom. Now, I'll just have to slowly remove my foot/leg over time until he's doing it himself.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yay! Every dog is so different and we all teach so differently so sometimes you have to just find what works for you guys.

Reactions: TruckersMom
1 - 6 of 6 Posts