Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I've seen a lot written about putting things such as peanut butter in Kongs along with other types of fillings. But my dogs are have small mouths. How do they get the filling out? I have a small one, but was barely able to clean it.

What am I doing wrong? Should a dog with little mouth strength even use one?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
When you say small mouths do you mean like a Pekingese or Pug with a flat nose? Or just a small dog like a Yorkie? I think if you just put the peanut butter or filling around the mouth of the kong and not all the way up they should be ok. My Maltese/Yorkie mix loves his kong. If they have little mouth strength you can try to get the softer puppy kongs (they're pink and blue), or maybe even a small "senior" kong (they're purple). If they still struggle you might want to try a different sort of kong like this.

Or you can get a different sort of busy toy like this.

Robot Check

·
Registered
438 Posts
My dog is 10lbs and loves her kong. Just buy the smaller size ones. Her's is pink. She manages to get it licked all clean lol

Like this one

Reactions: Cynna

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I have a toy fox terrier. I got her a small kong. I fill it with kibble and then seal it with peanut butter and freeze it. I tried putting peanut butter all the way inside the kong but she can't get all of it and gives up. If it's just kibble she can get that out after she's licked off the peanut butter at the opening.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have a young Boston Terrier and a 6 year old lab/mutt- both have the "puppy" (pink) kongs. The Boston has a small one (second smallest size, smallest size would be OK for her but a chocking hazard if the big dog got it) and the big dog has the second largest size. I usually do about 1/2 peanut butter for the two of them, I'll also be trying the kibble sealed with peanut butter trick which I hadn't thought of.

Actually, both dogs play with the little kong together- the big dog will chew on it and the Boston will literally reach in to grab it out of her mouth. It's pretty funny to watch.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Kongs are made in a variety of sizes, so you can easily get one sized for your dog. Mine both have the Small size in the Classic, as they both have sharp teeth and strong jaws. They go down to an ExtraSmall for dogs under 5 lbs.

I fill the end with strong smelling small things - like dog pepperoni, or dehydrated salmon skins; those and other small treats in the middle, and dog-friendly peanut butter in the end, which is pushed into the middle portion too. Then a larger treat is stuck in the larger end, and the whole thing is frozen.

There will always be a little residual peanut butter in the middle section, which means both dogs will sometimes sit down with their Kong after a day and lick inside it. They do have pretty long tongues!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts