Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I broke both of my ankles and will be in a wheelchair for at least 2 months possibly longer. I have no idea how to train rocky to walk beside me so any advice is welcome. I will have nothing but time since I won't be able to work during this time also and Im sure I will start to go crazy with boredom! Lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi,

I assume your dog is reasonably leash trained.

While I haven't done this specifically, I did blow my knee out traing dogs. I had a positioning brace on my knee for 3 months and a crutch for about a month. I was training Schutzhund at the time which is tracking,obedience and protection work. I wasn't about to stop training so I hit the tracking field first. Like the next day. It hurt bad. I had to try and lay a track in the field hobbling on crutches while learning how to work the dumb crutches. I stumbled thru the first track not even thinking how I was going to handle the dog. GSD. What an experience! Actually the dog worked out the track even though it was a mess and far older than he previously had done. So a success.

The point is pain and disability was some how put aside.

In your case I would approach this at home first. We do in place rotation 90 deg at a time. Person rotates,dog immediately follows to heel position. I think a beginner in a wheelchair can do this naturally. Haha have the dog sit beside you leash in your left hand. Use your right hand to rotate 90 deg say to the right first. Give a command to heel. Help the dog with a treat. Also watch me command. Try again. Then go to the left. Used the same hand/ wheel.

I think I'd also use a tab leash. I always do but not many other do. This will make it easier for you to keep the dog on your left and allow you to use both hands for the wheels.

Also you may want to attach the long leas to your chair so if things go south the dog won't be able to take off.

You can do sit,down and stand more or less in front of you. You probably won't be able to help the dog much but I'd guess the dog knows something is up and will look to you for help.

This is where multiple signals for commands come in handy. I use voice,whistle,hand and flashlight signals for basic commands.

Being handicapped even temporarily is very taxing on you especially if you are normally very active. About the second or third day of my mess I was in a hurry to go someplace and I had to go down the stairs in the house. Rather than very carefully hold the railings I tried using the crutches. I went over the crutches on the stairs. I found like early aviators that no matter how fast humans flap their arms we cannot fly. I landed in a heap at the bottom of the stairs. Lucky I didn't break my neck.

Take it easy and go slow. I think your dog will fit in nice if you just help him a little. My dog was pretty amazing in what he did while I was attempting to recover. It was like he knew I was having problems.

Byron

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He has good leash manners and does not pull but he is a very active dog. I actually had to have surgery to piece my ankles back together so I am more worried about him hitting my feet. Is there anything I can do to help him not be scared of the chair? We had a guy pass us in a wheelchair once and he was quite scared of it

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I am being released from the hospital today! I ended up with 5 pins in my left ankle and 6 pins in my right. I am worried that he is gonna be overly hyper when he sees me considering he hasn't seen me since Friday. He has also not been taken on his walks so I expect he will have lots of energy. My mom is bringing a crate to put him in when necessary since Im not sure if he will be able to sleep with me or not.

·
Registered
170 Posts
We have 14 toys that Samantha just loves to retrieve in the appt. I get her treats (thin sliced Hot dogs) out and tell her we have to work or play. I sit on the couch an toss her toys one by one. She retrieves them and sits in front. Nothing fancy. We do this quite rapid. Usually twice thru the group. About every three days she gets to jump for selected ones.

For more challenging event I spread them all over the appt. she then has to go find them. I call them out and help her find them but you could just wait and keep instructing him to find a toy.

This way to can practice retrieves and sit at the same time. The dog will get very tired quickly from all the running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.