Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

**sorry for the long post**

So like the title says, I need to find ways to tire out my puppy during my lunch break which is about 30-40 mins including feeding her. Not much time lol

Currently, I am limited to what I can do with her because she is recovering from mild surgery and she's wearing her cone. Some of you may remember one of my posts where she got an allergic reaction to her last set of vaccines and had to get a hard lump removed from her leg. She is not allowed to run/jump for the next 10 days. She gets her sutures out on the 30th. She is allowed to walk short distances, 20 mins tops.

I noticed that when I come home at lunch, there is no pee/poop and no shredded pee pads. (I only use them when I'm at work) So I guess that means I've tired her out enough in the mornings (from 5am to 730am) that she probably sleeps for most of the time I'm gone.

However, when I come home after work, the pads are completely shredded with either pee on them, or pee on the floor. :( No poop thank god. I think her poop schedule has become so regular that she's probably had one accident in the last month.

So far this is what I have been doing with her:

- she has her rubber kong bone that I stuff with kibble (that's part of her meal). Right now she can't use it because her cone gets in the way.
- she also has a ball that I fill with kibble and she rolls it and chases it around as the kibble falls out.
- I alternate between obedience training and the ball. I will make her do sit, stay, come, down, weave etc before I refill the ball.
- I will take her out for a short leash training walk and treat with her kibble (also part of her meal)
- Once she finishes her meal she gets two baby carrots that I hide (she's currently confined to the kitchen/foyer area because she tends to jump up and down from the couch) and she waits for my command "go find it!" before she runs off to sniff them out.
- Right before I leave to go back to work, I will fill the ball with some treats so while she's occupied I will sneak out. (That's always how I leave actually, in the mornings as well.)

Am I missing any good activities that I can do? Suggestions?

I can't figure out why she can hold in her pee for 4 hours in the morning but not in the afternoon. And why the pads are always shredded by the time I get home. I can only assume she has more energy in the afternoon? I don't *think* she drinks more water in the afternoon...but I guess I could measure how much I give her in the morning and at lunch to compare. Depending on how much exercise she gets she usually drinks about 3 cups or just under 3 cups of water a day. I read somewhere that how much water a puppy should drink is based on their weight. 1 fl.oz per pound. She's just under 20 lbs, around 18 lbs so 18 fl. oz = 2.25 cups. That seems so little?

·
Registered
82 Posts
How old is she?
Your exercise routine for her during your break is really good, I cant think of anything else that might tire her out. She will most likely grow out of tearing the puppy pads and peeing on the floor.
If shes anything like my pup she probably just has a bit more life in her during the afternoon and so gets a teeny bit bored etc.

I would definitely limit her water amount for those 4 hours until she learns to hold it in - she will not die of thirst for 4 hours. Or even just put a few ice cubes into her bowl instead - my dog loves these.

You sound like you are doing a great job and just need to be patient with her until she learns to hold in her pee and her boredom.

I am suffering with a similar problem at the moment too with my 8month old adopted pup who is sooo destructive and full of mischief when I leave for work :-/

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How old is she?
Your exercise routine for her during your break is really good, I cant think of anything else that might tire her out. She will most likely grow out of tearing the puppy pads and peeing on the floor.
If shes anything like my pup she probably just has a bit more life in her during the afternoon and so gets a teeny bit bored etc.

I would definitely limit her water amount for those 4 hours until she learns to hold it in - she will not die of thirst for 4 hours. Or even just put a few ice cubes into her bowl instead - my dog loves these.

You sound like you are doing a great job and just need to be patient with her until she learns to hold in her pee and her boredom.

I am suffering with a similar problem at the moment too with my 8month old adopted pup who is sooo destructive and full of mischief when I leave for work :-/
Oops forgot to mention she is 4 months. Geez, now that I'm reading that, I really shouldn't have very high expectations right now LOL! Note to self: REALITY CHECK!!!!!

Ice cubes! Good idea! I should try that! I think I always feel worried/guilty if I don't leave enough water out but you're right. She will not die of thirst in 4 hours. Can she choke on the ice cubes tho?

I always do the skin fold dehydration check and she's always fine. I also got a urine analysis done (when she had her surgery) just to eliminate the possibility of a UTI (yes, I'm one of those paranoid dog owners haha).

Don't you wish somehow there could be some kind of hologram of yourself you could play in your place while you're away to distract them? haha that would be so cool.

I've already lost my damage deposit because she finds chewing the walls and wood moldings more fun than her toys. :/

Thank you for the encouragement! You get to the point where you think you're doing everything right but haven't gotten the results you're hoping for so then you start to question your methods, but really it's just patience and time!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a now 9 month old dog (we got her at 7 months) with a lot of energy. She goes in the crate for usually 7 hours (sometimes 8 on a bad day) while we are at work, and does not get water in there. She never shows any signs of dehydration or utis. She is usually restful in the crate and does not make noise. I assume she gets up and plays with/chew on the few toys I put in their for her throughout the day. Almost every morning one of us takes her on the 10-15 minute walk to the park, puts her on the extendileash and lets her run for about 1/2 an hour, and then walk back. In the afternoon I try to take her on another long walk but don't always have time. I do some training and play tug-a-war with her and sometimes she's active and hyper all evening and sometimes she just goes back to sleep.
Between all that she does alright. When I have a day off she doesn't drink or play much during the day if I follow the same routine but leave her out of the crate.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I actually wouldn't try to tire her out in that short period of time. Sometimes the "short play break" idea can backfire in that you have enough time to get them fired up and crazy, but not enough time to actually let them get tired. Maybe try focusing on keeping the short break more low key and see if that improves her behavior. It may or may not, but is worth a try. When I only have a brief period of time to give my dogs, I always make sure we do some sort of leisurely activity (slow walk, sitting in the sun, whatever) for 5-10 minutes before I put them back in the crate/kennel. I have found that putting them back in the kennel when they're revved up leads to them continuing to be that way for a little while before settling. So if we have 20 minutes, I have to weigh what I can do in a 10 minute time frame, so as to allow for a cool down period before crating again. One of my dogs has a very good off switch, and I can take him out and play crazy fetch with him, then put the toy up and tell him "that's it" and walk him for another 5 before kenneling him. He's fine with that. My other dog has always been slower to come off the adrenaline high of high intensity exercise, and in her case, unless I had a greater amount of time, it was better to take her out for just a walk than to get her started.

It doesn't sound like you are doing anything crazy with her as far as physical exercise, but I would consider her behavior, and maybe eliminate anything that gets her really "up" from the afternoon break.

I would leave water, but if you think she's drinking all of it at once or too fast, you can freeze it in a bowl to make a big block that she can lick or that will melt over time. There are dog bowls that are made specifically to freeze water in, but you can do it with any butter tub or glad container (to get it out easily, run water over the outside of the container).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Oops forgot to mention she is 4 months. Geez, now that I'm reading that, I really shouldn't have very high expectations right now LOL! Note to self: REALITY CHECK!!!!!

Ice cubes! Good idea! I should try that! I think I always feel worried/guilty if I don't leave enough water out but you're right. She will not die of thirst in 4 hours. Can she choke on the ice cubes tho?

I always do the skin fold dehydration check and she's always fine. I also got a urine analysis done (when she had her surgery) just to eliminate the possibility of a UTI (yes, I'm one of those paranoid dog owners haha).

Don't you wish somehow there could be some kind of hologram of yourself you could play in your place while you're away to distract them? haha that would be so cool.

I've already lost my damage deposit because she finds chewing the walls and wood moldings more fun than her toys. :/

Thank you for the encouragement! You get to the point where you think you're doing everything right but haven't gotten the results you're hoping for so then you start to question your methods, but really it's just patience and time!
I doubt she would choke on the ice cubes, how big is she? these are also great when they are teething as the coldness can be soothing. Again my dog loved these and still does.
At 4 months of age she is still only learning. When my fella was that young he used to empty any bins he could reach and chew the legs of our chairs. Thankfully he grew out of these little thing habits and is now an absolute angel in the house!

And I def hear you on reaching a point where your not seeing results. After 2 weeks of destruction our new pup has now went 2 whole days without chewing on anything she shouldn't - thanks to the kong! Best invention ever. But now she has settled in a little more she has started to pee with excitement when she sees me or my partner - quite annoying wiping up little piddles all the time but cant really give out to her because she is so unaware she is even doing it.

The joys of puppies ;-)

·
Registered
18 Posts
What I have found to be the absolute best way to tire them out (other than letting them run around in the yard) is a sturdy game of tug-o-war with a rope. You have to let them win just as they are about to loose, otherwise they'll lose interested, but then you can retake it, have them chase it somewhat, and then go again with them exerting all that energy trying to get it pull it back out of your hand again.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I actually wouldn't try to tire her out in that short period of time. Sometimes the "short play break" idea can backfire in that you have enough time to get them fired up and crazy, but not enough time to actually let them get tired. Maybe try focusing on keeping the short break more low key and see if that improves her behavior. It may or may not, but is worth a try. When I only have a brief period of time to give my dogs, I always make sure we do some sort of leisurely activity (slow walk, sitting in the sun, whatever) for 5-10 minutes before I put them back in the crate/kennel. I have found that putting them back in the kennel when they're revved up leads to them continuing to be that way for a little while before settling. So if we have 20 minutes, I have to weigh what I can do in a 10 minute time frame, so as to allow for a cool down period before crating again. One of my dogs has a very good off switch, and I can take him out and play crazy fetch with him, then put the toy up and tell him "that's it" and walk him for another 5 before kenneling him. He's fine with that. My other dog has always been slower to come off the adrenaline high of high intensity exercise, and in her case, unless I had a greater amount of time, it was better to take her out for just a walk than to get her started.

It doesn't sound like you are doing anything crazy with her as far as physical exercise, but I would consider her behavior, and maybe eliminate anything that gets her really "up" from the afternoon break.

I would leave water, but if you think she's drinking all of it at once or too fast, you can freeze it in a bowl to make a big block that she can lick or that will melt over time. There are dog bowls that are made specifically to freeze water in, but you can do it with any butter tub or glad container (to get it out easily, run water over the outside of the container).
I thought about that, not getting her too amped up and doing something calm before I left but I would still come home sometimes to a ripped pad. I guess she just has more energy in the afternoon.

I'll usually let her play on her own while I wash dishes and clean the kitchen and that settles her down too. I might consider not giving her the treat ball before I leave because I think that gets her a little amped up. I like using it because it distracts her from me leaving.

Freezing the water bowl is a great idea! I will try that. I tried ice cubes but she was so interested in the ice cubes she drank all the remaining water in the bowl to get to the ice cubes. lol sigh. I came home and saw a huge puddle of pee on the pee pad haha. Thankfully she used the pad and only shred a small corner of it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I have found to be the absolute best way to tire them out (other than letting them run around in the yard) is a sturdy game of tug-o-war with a rope. You have to let them win just as they are about to loose, otherwise they'll lose interested, but then you can retake it, have them chase it somewhat, and then go again with them exerting all that energy trying to get it pull it back out of your hand again.
She LOVES tug of war. It's a good way for me to teach her "drop it". We usually play first thing when I come home for lunch since it gets her pretty amped up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Freezing the water bowl is a great idea! I will try that. I tried ice cubes but she was so interested in the ice cubes she drank all the remaining water in the bowl to get to the ice cubes. lol sigh. I came home and saw a huge puddle of pee on the pee pad haha. Thankfully she used the pad and only shred a small corner of it.

Thanks!
Ha ha that's so cute. I actually meant ice cubes on their own in her bowl with no water. Sorry I wasn't clear enough on that.
Freezing the water in the bowl is a good idea too - probably an even better idea than the ice cubes :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha ha that's so cute. I actually meant ice cubes on their own in her bowl with no water. Sorry I wasn't clear enough on that.
Freezing the water in the bowl is a good idea too - probably an even better idea than the ice cubes :)
haha as soon as I saw her drink up all the water, in my head I was like.."ohhhh...Tuxi probably meant with no water..just ice cubes. DUH!" lol

·
Registered
261 Posts
They get quite a bit of mental activity just from sniffing and experiencing new things. For more info about this, here's a video about how exactly involved smelling is for a dog.

For my GSP, a walk isn't going to tire him out physically, so I just let him sniff. He gets quite a bit of exhaustion from it and sleeps deeply afterwards.

And then any new place at all will activate all sorts of learning and tire them out.

For example, for my dog, a trip to Home Depot where it can see and sniff all those things and people tires him out than three hours of playing at the dog park.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.