Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I understand, there is no test for food allergies yet most are able to identify ingredients that their dog is allergic to. I am wondering what test can be done besides an elimination diet to determine this. My dog was skin tested for environmental allergies but I still don't know exactly what food he may be allergic to. He is on allergy shots to desensitize him to the environmental allergens. Any info to test for food allergies would help.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
The best I know is trial and error, aka an elimination diet.

What you do is find a food with food ingredients that he's never had, a limited ingredient diet, or home cooking, work best. Feed the dog that food, and eliminate all treats and other foods, for 4 to 6 weeks. If he gets worse stop the trial early, if he shows no improvement then you'll need to find a different food to try. If he improves then you start to slowly, 1 food item at a time, add foods back into his diet till you figure out what he reacts to and what he doesn't.

There is this, but I do not know how accurate it is. Dr. Jean Dodds on Dog Food Sensitivities

·
Registered
455 Posts
Trial and error/elimination diets are really the only way. Natural Balance makes some good limited ingredient foods, I really recommend them.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 3 of 3 Posts