Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would LOVE to teach my dog to open his mouth, stay still, and willingly let me brush his teeth like the dog below. Instead, I have to hold onto him and he clamps his mouth shut the whole time. The owner/trainer of this dog said he is trained to do this and is not sedated.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BK52I1rAuck/?taken-by=fulton_strong

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Good luck with that. I brush Samantha's teeth every morning, and though she tolerates it, I wouldn't exactly say she is overly cooperative. She lets me brush, but licks and snorts throughout the process. We have been doing this every day for the past five years, so she is about as adapted to it as she is going to get. Her teeth are great, so its worth it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The dog in the video looks like it isn't opening its mouth on its own, but rather allowing the owner to open its mouth. That would be easy enough to train, just gradually condition relaxation while you first touch the mouth, then gently open it, first a tiny bit, then more and more. I'm not too sure how you would train them to open their mouth on their own, though I'm sure it can be done, you don't need it to brush the teeth.

An alternative that I've used (my dogs are used to mouth handling and let me brush and scale the outsides of their teeth, but get squirmy when you open the mouth wide) is to have them hold something in their mouth so their teeth are apart. I've used a rubber stick toy, and also a rubber ball, and both work well for that purpose. You just teach them to hold it, then go to town :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.