Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a book, 101 Dog Tricks. We're going through and trying to learn all of them.

Delilah is having a lot of trouble with roll over. This is a trick I've tried teaching her in the past and gave up on. The instructions in the book are the pretty standard ones. Lure the dog with a treat so that it's head goes back to its shoulders and it has to go onto its side to keep following the treat. Delilah's so small she either just keeps shifting her position or turns her head to the other side to follow the treat. She is bow legged so her hind legs bow out whenever she sits or lies down. I'm wondering if this makes it difficult for her?

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Easiest way really is luring.

Look at hips. If leaning thats the direction you want her to roll. Try luring nose to the opposite knee rather than shoulder (so if rolling to the right nose goes to left knee and vice versa). Going to the knee instead will help flip her onto her hip. From there I normally lure across the body and then sort of up the spine. If comfy with paws being handled or she had paw to hand target you can also use that to help her over.

Often dogs that have issues with rollover are uncomfortable so just need it broken down into steps.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@kmes Thanks! I tried your suggestion and she kept popping up and backing up to get the treat. But we were on the bed and I ended up putting a pillow under the blanket and had her down on the edge of the pillow so gravity would help her roll as she shifted her weight to get the treat by her knee. Seemed to work great!

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Oh good! Glad that helped.
Great job getting creative and problem solving with the pillow! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 4 of 4 Posts