Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 14 week old Cairn Puppy, and toilet training is moving along great. He hasn't had any accidents since Tuesday(where he had two in his playpen - I think it was because he had had a couple of accidents in the office the week before, and I changed our entire routine to prevent him from holding it all day).

Whenever we have been out, and he has done his business he has free range of the kitchen(under my watchful gaze) and is allowed to follow me around the apartment for about 10-20 minutes.

How have you gone about teaching dog that the entire apartment is a poop and pee-free zone? Do I just slowly give him access to more and more of the house?

I love that little bugger, but sometimes I cannot wait for him to be fully grown. Right after the thought pops into my head he does something so extremely cute that I immediately regret thinking that. But he makes so much progress right now, training and potty wise that I cannot possibly keep up:)

Also I think I've curbed the worst of the play biting, but I am to vigilant and on my toes, to enjoy it right now:( He was REALLY bad week 11 and 12.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I did this by slowly giving my pup access to the whole house. First he only had access to places while supervised. I spent a lot of time following him from room to room when he was a pup. Then as he got older and I started trusting him more I gave him free unsupervised space when I was out of the house or at work. Started with the bedroom (this is where his playpen was set up) I think he was around 8 months old when we started giving him more access. Then after a few weeks of that he got access to the bedroom and part of the living room, kept adding rooms until he had access to the whole house. The plan was always that if he had an accident we'd go back to the last successful configuration, but he never ended up having any accidents so never had to test that. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts