Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone out there will be able to help me out.

Timber is an amazing dog but he gets over stimulated during feeding time. When he was younger, he could care less about food and as he got older be started to like food and got excited but not to the point he has progressed to now. I have always fed the same order; Tynan, then Timber, then Karitsa. I basically feed them in the order that I got them.

Lately I have even caught Timber giving the other dogs the "hairy-eyeball" and I have to verbally snap him out of it before he decides to act upon it. Last week Timber gave Tynan **** for just being where he usually stays while I prepare their food. It was all noise but it scared Tynan afterwards. It's just not like Timber to act this way towards the other dogs during this time of the day. In the past he did think it was his job to keep the Dallas in line if he got too excited during food prep time. I worked with Timber until he understood it was not his job to do this. He never acted this way with the other dogs in the past.

Tynan and Karitsa are not the type of dogs that jump everywhere or bark or crash into each other while I prep their food, so not sure what is triggering Timber's behaviour. I'm not sure if his resource guarding for food is increasing or something else.

All dogs are fed separately and are gated out of the kitchen during food prep time.

2nd thing I need help with is finding a way to work with Timber to settle his mind. I work on impulse training with him and he is quite good at it but his mind is still in overdrive.

Is it even possible to teach a dog's mind to settle during specific times, specifically feeding time?

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Sounds like the dog is taking ownership of the food before it's served. It's your food until the dog swallows it. It's a negative reward if the dog is being fed while he's worked up.

What I do in this scenario is stand with the food dish in hand, let the dog wait. Or just leave the food on the counter and do something else in the kitchen. Watch the dog, he doesn't get fed until he calms down - when he's calm and remains calm, make a motion to put the food down. Watch the dog as you make the motion of putting the food down. If he gets excited right away, don't feed him. Just stand there.

I don't look at it as teaching a dogs mind - you're trying to get the dog to figure it out, let the dog think. They will figure it out on their own "I'm not going to get fed until I'm relaxed" - it might take a bit of time.

Starting off, remove the other dogs from the area, just you and Timber.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.