Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At times, I need my dog to move out of the way. For example, we're going to the back garage door, so I can go in and grab her food, and she stands in my way, right at the door. I can step over her now that she's a puppy, but when she grows up--well, I need her to move out of the way.

With my previous dogs, I taught them the "out" command by grabbing them by the collar and pulling them away. This time, I'd like to do something less physical. I've been using "come," "sit," and "stay," but the tri-command approach is getting old. It also isn't terribly practical for other situations, as when I'm in a planter doing some gardening, and she decides to sit right smack in the middle of the whole thing. :wave:

How would you teach an "out" command for those types of situations?

·
Registered
884 Posts
That's one of those time where I'd just get in there, shuffle my feet, say move (or not) and expect them to get out of the way. Sometimes I 'beep-beep-beep' like the sound of a truck backing up just for fun...I'm kidding, but only sort of, because I really do that. I do expect dogs not to block me, and they don't--they just don't.

But, for more finesse, you could teach, 'go to your mat' (mat, or place, whatever you want to call it), or just use a 'down stay'. Or teach a send away. Sounds like an awful lot of work though for a simple circumstance (I do teach those things, but I don't use those commands just to get a dog out of my way. Easier just to move to where I want to be, gently, without fuss.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Hmm... I guess for that specific situation, I may ask for a heel so the dog isn't in my direct path.

A "back" command may also come in handy.

My dog doesn't really get under my feet so I don't have one that I use in that situation. A command I use often is "place". If I'm cooking or we're at the dinner table, I send her to her "place".

·
Registered
316 Posts
Lots of different ways to teach this sort of thing, depending on your particular needs & interests.

A general "get moving" cue can be sort of useful, although it tends to leave the dog in the dark about where, exactly, she ought to go. Walk toward the dog, say, "excuse me!" (or a cue of your choice) and toss some treats in the direction that you'd like the dog to move. Dog moves to get treats, you get to walk through the door. Do this a couple of dozen times, then wait a beat after saying, "excuse me!" to see if the dog starts moving before you throw the treats -- if she doesn't, no big deal, just do another dozen rounds or so of the first step; if she does move, mark that behavior and toss the treats as before (except now they are a reward, not a prompt...meaning they come AFTER the behavior, and the dog is thinking more instead of just following treats). Keep it up until the behavior is nice & solid, then you can slowly fade treats as you would for other household tricks. This is handy for me for those sort of situations you describe, like when I get out of the shower and would like to make it to the bedroom to dress without having to step over my dog!

Or you can teach to "back up" on cue, which is handy in a variety of ways. Eileen Anderson has a good method detailed on her blog: Teaching A Dog to Back Up - eileenanddogseileenanddogs

A third option, which works better for some dogs, is to pick a place to send your dog to. Like a mat or dog bed. Then teach a "go to place" cue, so that anytime you want your dog out of the way, you just send them off to their mat. I teach this using cheap shower mats (comfy, washable, and affordable!), and it's incredibly handy in a wide variety of circumstances, including the situation you describe. Eileen Anderson has written posts about this one too, I think, or there's this handy kikopup tutorial:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boy, @SnackRat. Best skip a meal the day(s) you do that training.

·
Registered
884 Posts
What about teaching a hand target?;)
Posted via Mobile Device
Brilliant application of the KISS principle--Keep It Simple Stupid. :)

Bashing hand on forehead for not thinking about that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Brilliant application of the KISS principle--Keep It Simple Stupid. :)

Bashing hand on forehead for not thinking about that.
KISS, maybe... or an inside joke from where I'm sitting. Can someone explain what a "hand target" is?

ETA: OK, inside joke no more --

·
Banned
283 Posts
At times, I need my dog to move out of the way. For example, we're going to the back garage door, so I can go in and grab her food, and she stands in my way, right at the door. I can step over her now that she's a puppy, but when she grows up--well, I need her to move out of the way.
"Max, move" or even just "move" if I have his attention. is all I say. Short commands seem to work best.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I use "Excuse me" for the situations Bri needs to get out of the way or "Careful" for situations where I don't want to move, but she should (example: I want to open a door that would smack right in her face if she wouldn't move, or I have a cup of hot tea on the table and she comes with wagging her tail and in danger to knock the hot tea all over herself (and everything else :) )).

Both of these commands were somehow learned unintentionally, its just words/phrases that I use in these situations and she always got praised when doing the "right" thing, but there was never a formal training session about this.

Reactions: Artdog

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tank is terrible about getting in my way. He likes to lay in doorways, at the top of the stairs, and at your feet while you are cooking or doing dishes. Usually I'll just step over him, but that's not always the safest option when he is at the top of the stairs. I might lose my footing and trip! I will have to teach him a place to go when I need him to move. He knows to go to his bed when I say, Go Night Night, but his bed is in our bedroom and that door is always closed, just to keep Nintendo from sneaking in there to poop. I need to get a second dog bed for the main level. I'm sure Tank would love to have a spot to nap on. Although he's accustomed to the coach, so idk if he would go for it. He's spoiled like that. Haha! Nintendo, I just tell him to go to his crate, but then again he doesn't really plop down in inconvenient places like Tank does. lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts