Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had foster Simba for nearly a month now, he is doing really well. (check out simba_can on instagram for pics)

We managed an entire walk without any barking, which included a school, crossing guards (Simba's Nemesis). A landscaper mowing, a fire truck and a meeting with another dog.

His impulse control is getting better, he can now sit and wait at a door and not grab for food, I am even able to feed the dogs together and leave toys out, there is no conflict whatsoever, they just play all the time.

He is in love with my daughter, she can do no wrong.

My son he will still occasionally randomly "bite" him, I say "bite" because there is zero tooth pressure, no pain, no mark, it may even be playful, my son isn't scared of him, he just turns his back and stands still when it happens. I am not scared of him getting hurt, as Simba has amazing bite inhibition, it is just so random, he could just be walking around and Simba will come up to him. Most of the time they can play and interact with no issues.

The two issues I have with him are the barking, it is getting better and I know how to deal with the fear based barking and reactivity (thanks to all the advice in other threads on this board) He is young (11 months) and responds amazingly to training.

Sometimes in the house and outside he will just bark for fun and attention. I really can't define the triggers. I have tried ignoring it, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. He gets plenty of exercise and stimulation, two long walks a day, several play-dates in the backyard with my dog Jasmine where they will play vigorously for a long time. He gets puzzle toys, training, kongs, bones. The best solution I have found is to give him a tennis ball, he will walk around with it in his mouth and cant bark, but I don't see that as a permanent solution.

The other issue is respecting other dogs. He is not aggressive but I cannot take him to the dog run yet, he would get overwhelmed with all the people and dogs. I have arranged a few one on one meetings with Jasmine's friends and he has been great, but they all want to play. Yesterday he met with a potential adopter with an older dog who didn't want to play, and he was so persistent, it was hard for me to distract him, I had to leash him in the end and then he barked. The dog did not try to correct him beyond a couple of air snaps. Needless to say he did not get adopted!

I need someone with a dog who will correct him when he is too pushy. I believe things like this are best taught by other dogs(Jasmine cured him of his humping issues in one play time! She has also helped him tone down his intense play) He is basically an adolescent jerk who needs to meet dogs to learn manners, not sure where to find an older dog who doesn't like to play and will correct him without hurting him though.

I also have a new respect for all of you with reactive dogs, my Jasmine has always been bombproof and I really didn't think it could be that bad! I now walk around scanning the environment for things that could set him off! This fostering is EXHAUSTING!

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
The only real way to curb demand barking in a puppy like this is to either exercise them/nap them until they are above bratty behavior. Get a good recall and leave it so you can call him away from dogs he is harassing. He is still learning social skills, it will be months to a year before he can definitively take "no" for an answer.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
The only real way to curb demand barking in a puppy like this is to either exercise them/nap them until they are above bratty behavior. Get a good recall and leave it so you can call him away from dogs he is harassing. He is still learning social skills, it will be months to a year before he can definitively take "no" for an answer.
Interesting...

My 8 pound minpin met a clients young boxer pup yesterday, full grown but still a pup. They ran around for a bit, then the boxer got obnoxious. Couple of warnings from the Pin, then the correction came - nip to the face. Respect was given after that.

Had to go back in last night, Boxer was still there. Guess what, respect was still there. They played again, this time no issues.

Op, realize that your dog is likely different on leash, most dogs seem to be for a myriad of reasons. I've always pushed my dogs out of their little shells, I want that 2 way trust and confidence. It's going to take more than one dog correction to fix the issue.

·
Registered
712 Posts
It took obedience/puppy classes and doggy daycare to teach my pup to leave my senior dog alone. When I first got her, my senior would growl, snap etc at her and she wouldn't get the cues. Even if I just let them deal with it on their own, she would not let up. I had to intervene.

In the end, I had a friend take care of my older dog for a couple of months while I spent more time training my pup, letting her play with more puppies/dogs with the same energy level and taking her to dog daycare.

The first day I brought my senior dog home, she tried to play with him. One growl and snap at her face and she backed off. Immediately. I was shocked. I'm pretty sure she learned a lot while being at daycare since there are lots of dogs of different ages, sizes etc.

Like @kelly528 said, he is still learning social skills. Continue the playdates with with different dogs, puppies, adults, young adults, eventually he will learn to back off when a dog wants space.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.