Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My childhood dog is named "Jake". The dog is going to be moving in with my LT boyfriend and I next summer for the remainder of his days. My boyfriend's name is also Jake.

You can see how this can get confusing? xD I can not change the human's name, so we've decided to alter the dog's name slightly to "Jack". I have instructed my family to start calling the dog to Jack, which they have done for the most part, and it seems that he's picking up on the change slowly.

Is there a way to help him along in this process though? I was thinking maybe clicker training... but I've never done clicker training before, so I'm not TOTALLY sure how to do it. I'm thinking click + say "Jack" at the same time, and then give treat? Would that be right, or should things be done in a different order?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think you would say, Jack! And when he acknowledges it, that's when you'd click and treat

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I would say "Jack" then "Jake", then treat. I would do that over the course of a couple days. Then I would just say "Jack" if he looks, awesome give him a treat. If not, go back to saying both names for a bit, and keep trying to fade out "Jake".

·
Registered
884 Posts
Those are good ideas, but it's really not that complicated. Say the new name, plus the old name, then reward, basically any time you want to call him (for good things), do that. He should start responding to the new name as he'll get the good thing sooner.
The clicker training is fine, as an exercise, but do the above as your routine. If you mix the name up, doesn't matter; if you call him by the old name by accident, doesn't matter, just add in the new name. You and your family will probably need to adjust to the new name too, so don't get tongue tied worrying about it.
Sonic was Nino when we got him. Nice name, we used both names, and just phased out Nino over time. He loves his new name now.
I do clicker training, but never bothered with anything particular regarding his name. No fussing required.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
@Artdog
Does that mean we could probably change his name to anything? I don't necessarily like "Jack" but we figured it would be easiest for him if his new name was as similar as possible.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Yes, absolutely, have fun with it. Just make your choice and stick to it.
Changing names is a tongue twister for humans too. I knew Nino was coming my way, 3 months in advance (and it really was his name with his first people) so it was pretty sticky. We were calling him that for a bit even after choosing his new name. If you want a different name than Jack, make it quick, or at least stop using name #2 until you decide. Once he's in a place where 'Jake' means 'not him' more often than not, the new name will get extra special attention and the old name will have less and less meaning as he will learn to ignore it even if it slips off your tongue by accident.
If you think of it, many dogs have more than one 'name', not all of them printable. Dynamo (my previous dog) also answered to Girlie, and, well, female dog, and some other things. The smart ones always know when they are being talked about...

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
You've been given good advice but personally I think Jack and Jake will sound so similar to the dog that he might still respond to Jake. Either way I'm sure it'll be fine.

Reactions: Artdog

·
Registered
156 Posts
We changed our dog's name when we adopted her at 7 months. But, honestly, we call her about a thousand different names all the time. If you use the right tone of voice, you could say anything and she'll come running with a wiggly butt and a smile.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm, that's a good point. I assumed keeping the name similar would help him, I didn't think that it may confuse him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts