Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog Remi (2 yr old pit bull mix) constantly nibbles other dogs. She bites their legs, necks, and tails in the hopes that they will play with her. I have never seen it done out of aggression, it's always because she wants to play, but it gets very annoying to other dogs when she won't stop. She mostly does it to our other dog. We recently (as in yesterday!) took in a foster and she won't stop with the new dog either. They play great for about 20 minutes, and then Remi will not stop when the new dog is ready to.

I try to practice positive reinforcement, but I'm at a loss at this point. I praise her/give her attention when she plays with her toys, I've tried ignoring it to see if our other dog will show her when he's done, I've tried leaving the room to see if it's to get *my* attention, I've flicked her nose, I've told her NO...I need ideas! What can I do?

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
When play turns inappropriate, it's time to calmly and quickly step in, stop it, and separate them. Give her a cool down period to let the excitement calm down, the let them start playing again.

Letting them continue to play after things get rude just reinforces the inappropriate play style. But remember to closely supervise and step in as soon as you see her excitement start to escalate.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 2 of 2 Posts