Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! So my 1-yo corgi, Bindi, occasionally digs. She doesn't dig to get under the fence or to make herself a cool spot in the summer, she just digs. I know that's probably boredom, but honestly I already walk her and play with her throughout the day, and she has our other dog to play with all the time, so there's not much I can do about that.
But now we have all these little holes in our yard, and my dad says we need to teach her not to dig before we fill them/do some other stuff with our landscape. He says I should put a remote shock collar on her and watch her all the time so I can catch her in the act and shock her. However, I'm trying to do the Positively training methods (Victoria Stilwell), or just in general avoid physical punishment, so I'd really like another option.
I've heard if you give the dog a sandbox, you can teach them to dig in that instead. My dad is pretty skeptical of that, and honestly so am I. . . so has anyone had success with this? And how did you do it?
Or if not, other ideas on how to stop the dog from digging? Because I really don't want to use the shock collar, but I also understand that this is a problem that needs fixed.
Thank you!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Growing up with a terrier there was always craters in the yard, we never tried to stop her. Never even though about stopping her. Now Freyja likes to dig, I let her dig in the compost pile, she helps turn it. She is pretty good about digging there and not in the yard. But she will sometimes start somewhere else. I just distract her and lead her back to the compost. Then the hole gets filled in. But the dogs are not left alone outside. So someone always has an eye on her.

·
Registered
442 Posts
If she's digging because she's bored, you can potentially prevent it by either supervising her when she's out so you can interrupt, or giving her enough appropriate other stuff to do that she doesn't "have time" to dig. A long lasting chew or work to eat toy (or several of either/both, depending on how long she's out there) might help. You could try using a sand box, enough people recommend it that it must be at least sometimes successful. Alternatively, you could fence off a certain area for her and just let her wreck it and fill in the holes as needed.

I have one dog who is a digger, and like your dog, he digs purely for the joy of doing it. It is one of several stress/excitement displacement behaviors too though- if we wants to get to something and can't he'll dig. Likewise if I tie him or leave him with someone holding his leash or he gets excited about something/someone. He also digs with the initial intention of burying toys, but then forgets about the toy and gets fixated on digging instead. He will dig in sand, and likes to dig right beside water so he can bite the water as it gets in the hole, but he also likes to dig in dirt, and while digging will stop to take deep sniffs of the dirt, like a person sniffing a delicious meal :D . We don't have a fenced yard, so he's never out unattended, but I'm pretty sure he would just dig wherever he stood when the mood strikes, no regard for substrate. I do verbally correct him for inappropriate digging, or will pull him away by his leash if he's "deaf"/not listening, but left to his own devices, he's right back at it moments later if not given something else to do.

My concern with an e-collar would be that if you're not addressing WHY she digs, she may either not stop completely, or may develop other stress displacement behaviors which could be worse. Additionally, timing is essential with e-collar (or any) corrections, and in a situation like this, it could be easy for her to get the wrong idea as to why you are correcting, which would create other problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As others have said, your dog is more than likely digging out of boredom. I had a dog that LOVED to dig - so we always chalked his digging up to him just loving it. It actually turns out that he wasn't getting enough stimulation.

What worked for us was going to Home Depot and building a small agility course out of PVC piping. That dog would jump and crawl under that agility course endlessly. No more holes after that.

Other than that, supervision and stimulation are pretty much all you can do. Young Corgis are hyper little things and require a ton of stimulation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Like the other owners have said it does sound like a terrible case of boredom. Now if you were going to say that she is digging to burry bones or toys then that is more of an alpha trait where the canine would have something to go back to whenever she wanted it. Just some indication of being the leader and not having to listen to the human.

As a way to fight the boredom you may want to check out those toys that engage and stimulate the dog. I have seen some that are balls that you fill up with treats and then give to your dog to solve and everytime your dog would solve it it dispenses a treat. There are of course other toys like that which are just as good but if you would like to know see more about it, just message me and i will give you a link to the video.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
It sounds counter intuitive but I have heard that teaching a "dig" command will help. You pick a spot where the dog is allowed to dig - you may choose a sandbox or a corner of the yard - and use it as a reward. I don't know all of the in's and out's of it because I haven't actually done it, but it's worth looking into. :)

·
Registered
917 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
I swear I can really spell. Meant burying, not burring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts