Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My door like to drink the water from my indoor plant saucer - making a mess. He has other water sources to choose from 24-7 - what can I add to the water to make it taste bad to a dog or make him stop drinking from the saucer??? Thanks

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
My door like to drink the water from my indoor plant saucer - making a mess. He has other water sources to choose from 24-7 - what can I add to the water to make it taste bad to a dog or make him stop drinking from the saucer??? Thanks
It would probably be easiest just to put it somewhere he can't get to it. Out of reach, or in a room that you can close the door to when you're not supervising.

You could also potentially try putting some rocks or something in the saucer to make it harder for him to get to the water.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is not possible to remove the plant - open floor plan. don't want to have plant or dog ...... I want both. There must be a simple solution....something that dogs don't like to drink.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
I'd put something around the planter to keep the dog away.

This is a management issue, not a training issue. Nor is putting something nasty in the water going to be the solution, as that will likely poison the plant.

Or just let the dog drink out of the planter and put a towel under the whole thing to sop up the splash.
One thing dogs teach us, is to be less fussy about our housekeeping! ;) Priorities can shift. :)

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Vinegar will slowly kill your plant. Plants do not do well with acidic water.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Putting large stones, like river stones could work.
As long as he isn't drinking the plant dry & causing it to die...personally, I wouldn't worry :)

I would have a nervous breakdown if I tried to stop every bit of mess making my animals create lol. I gave up a long time ago, with a bird that takes great pleasure redecorating the house with his food.

Reactions: Tess and Kwenami

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I agree with the others, either stop his access to the plant or replant the plant into a Spa pot.

Try fashioning something to go around the plant that will still look nice but block him from it. Maybe try making a fence type thing out of latices work or something like that, or make a picket fence or something.

I have my large avocado tree potted in a spa pot, It's a plastic pot that has a fitted saucer that has a spout so that I can either fill the saucer or empty water out of the saucer. The pots come in large sizes so I think that you may be able to find one large enough for your plant if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its a LARGE plant - in a huge pot. The tray will always be exposed on such a big pot. I don't care about the mess - but it is on a wooden floor, an will ruin the wood is left there. There has to be something simple to add to the water. Can't block the dog from the pot....

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Oh, that really sucks about the wood potentially being damaged! I cant think of anything to add to the water that wouldn't effect the health of the plant sorry.
Unfortunately, all I can think of is to put down a towel to protect the floors...not very aesthetically pleasing though....hmmm.

Reactions: yuckyak

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Have you just tried watering it more often so there is no water in the saucer? I mean watering it smaller amounts of water so the plant can absorb the water before it drains to the saucer but more often so the plants get enough water.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I like the idea of doing a decorative fence around it. Even if it is the largest pot imaginable it would be simple to just fence it off. You could use like little decorative fences they have for gardens or even black wire that is tall and then add like ribbon or lights or some such.

At the store I work we sell this thick ribbon for wreaths but it would look lovely.

So it wouldn't need to stand out or look tacky or even like u r trying to keep the dog out but instead just like normal decor.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Reactions: AllieD

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
What size pot, and why cant you fashion a decorative fence around it, or take the other suggestion of filling the saucer with some larger rocks?

If it's really large I do understand not wanting to replant. I know it was difficult to replant my avocado tree into it's current 24 in pot. The biggest self watering pot I've seen is 42 in, not sure if that would be to small for you, and as I said I understand not wanting to replant.

About the only other suggestion I have, and I hate, hate, using aversive methods, is to put one those no slip carpet backs (they have a smooth side that goes on the floor and a spiky side meant to hold the rug), down around the pot. Hopefully he'd find stepping on them unpleasant and would learn to stay away from the pot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Get an even larger pot - one that will hold the pot your plant is already in, and place your plant, pot and all, in it. You can get one without a hole, or if you get one with a hole, put a saucer in the bottom. You won't have to transplant.

Reactions: HouseIsaZoo

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you are unable or unwilling to re pot the plant, or to build some type of barrier.... I would get online somewhere and research water additives that are non toxic to plants and animals. I think it would be pretty common sense what would deter a dog, but not so much what would not kill a plant. SO you need to find something a dog wouldn't care for, and cross it make sure it won't kill either of them. lol

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Try vinegar
I add vinegar for all the time the dogs dont mind the taste. Might make it more appealing. I dont know of any solution. I could never stop my dogs or cats from drinking all the christmas tree water. They dont know the difference between bowls. Maybe you could make some kind of barrier out of card board that is high enough to cover the water and keep to dog out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.