Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to help a friend of mine who has two Italian Greyhounds, both female, one of which has developed a habit of eating mushrooms that pop up in their yard overnight.

They've been forced to induce vomiting on several occasions, and they have to survey the entire yard to eliminate any mushrooms. They can use chemicals on their yard, but this problem ranges outside the home. Even at the park, they must keep a constant eye on this dog, and even then, they might not have enough time to stop her.

They've been practicing 'Leave it' with their dog, but when they're not around, the dog still engages in the behavior.

I'm stumped as to what else can help. Does anybody have any words of advice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
this is very serious because it can kill them in no time. my chloe had mushroom toxicity and its not fun. she was in the hospital overnight with activated charcoal, enemas, and IV fluids.

instead of teaching the dogs to leave it and relying only on that, you have to get rid of the mushrooms. a bleach and water solution sprayed on them will kill them and keep them from returning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,054 Posts
You said it happens outside of their yard, where they have no control as far as getting rid of them, for this I would teach leave it. I would also not allow the dog off leash and keep a close eye out for them. I don't have much experience with mushrooms as they don't really grow here except by freak chance. Sorry I couldn't help more
Posted via Mobile Device
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top