Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My parents have a 13 year old GSD. She has had degenerative myelopathy for the past 3-4 years, but it has been progressing extremely slowly. She can still walk, however she is very unstable.

Since she is dragging her feet everywhere she goes, her two middle toenails on each foot have become extremely short. We're now running into the problem where she is making her toenails bleed just by walking normally through her day. So she isn't allowed to walk on pavement much anymore. We keep her in the grass. However, sometimes they still bleed.

We tried putting dog shoes on her, but since she drags her feet they always fall off in a few steps. We tried putting socks on her and wrapping them on with medical bandage. It either falls off quickly or we will find holes within a few minutes.

Does anyone have any ideas for us? She still likes going for walks occasionally, but it's a bit difficult around here if she can't go on the pavement. Plus, she has difficulty walking in grass sometimes.

Thank you! :)

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Will these still allow the nail to grow normally? These look like they could be our perfect solution.
There is mention of myelopathy in the comments, and I've heard of others using them successfully. Can't see how it would restrict nail growth.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
That's a great solution.

Is it the back paws? If it is, something like a foot drop brace might be available for dogs. It might keep the dog walking for longer too because it works for the muscles that no longer activate.

image.jpg

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a great solution.

Is it the back paws? If it is, something like a foot drop brace might be available for dogs. It might keep the dog walking for longer too because it works for the muscles that no longer activate.

View attachment 182857
Oh man this brace looks cool. I bet this would help if someone made it for dogs. Unfortunately, it's the back and front legs now, so I'd still need something for the front. I'll look into this for the back legs maybe. Interesting idea. Although it might confuse the dog a bit.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Wish I would have found the soft claws nail caps back when my GSD was going through her ordeal and dragging her rears, looks like a much better solution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts