Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 month old Boston Terrier who has become a picky eater. He used to inhale his food so fast that he would regurgitate it but now I'm struggling to get him to eat his kibble at all.

As far as human food, we try not to give him any. As far as I know, he has only had a piece or two of popcorn and that's it. My boyfriend forbids feeding him table food. However, my boyfriend has also gone so far as to buy a new brand of food to see if he'd like it better and he acts the same way towards it. We always have added water to his food to soften it but we also tried dry kibble but that doesn't seem to make a difference. He's not lethargic or is acting any different.

When he does eat, he'll eat a third of his serving. We feed him 3 times a day but it's been awhile since he's eaten his entire recommended daily serving. We have tried putting his food down 30 minutes and taking it away and not offering it again until his next meal time but it doesn't seem to help. He'll hardly touch it.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions, tips or hear any stories that you might have related to picky eating and how to over come this. I am so scared he isn't getting the necessary nutrition to grow - especially since he is only 5 months old.

Thank you!

·
Registered
32 Posts
You could keep switching brands, or try different types (wet, raw, etc.). When my dog doesn't eat, I crush some treats and mix it in with his food and he seems to eat more of it.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
When he does eat, he'll eat a third of his serving. We feed him 3 times a day but it's been awhile since he's eaten his entire recommended daily serving. We have tried putting his food down 30 minutes and taking it away and not offering it again until his next meal time but it doesn't seem to help. He'll hardly touch it.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions, tips or hear any stories that you might have related to picky eating and how to over come this. I am so scared he isn't getting the necessary nutrition to grow - especially since he is only 5 months old.

Thank you!
If he does not look to thin I would not worry about it. The recommended amount is not always right for every dog. I would also go to feeding 2 x a day at this point. You could also try this instead of kibble. It is very highly rated and my dogs love it. The 6 pound roll is about 17 .00 They have it at petco but also walmart and safeway.
Vital® Balanced Nutrition Turkey Dog Food Recipe with Peas, Carrots & Brown Rice

·
Registered
900 Posts
How much are you feeding? Adding a dollop of plain yogurt might help get his appetite up and it has the benefits of the probiotics. Mix it up well so all kibble is coated and hopefully it will entice him to eat. Another option is to boil chicken or whatever meat you want and add a little bit of the broth (no salt or seasoning added), or low-sodium ready made broth. Like Dawnben has said, if he's not thin, I may not worry about it too much either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much are you feeding? Adding a dollop of plain yogurt might help get his appetite up and it has the benefits of the probiotics. Mix it up well so all kibble is coated and hopefully it will entice him to eat. Another option is to boil chicken or whatever meat you want and add a little bit of the broth (no salt or seasoning added), or low-sodium ready made broth. Like Dawnben has said, if he's not thin, I may not worry about it too much either.

We try to feed him a cup a day (1/3 per serving of 3 servings). However he doesn't seem to want anywhere near that much food. I'm worried about adding things into his food because it can form a bad habit and if he is a picky eater, that means he is getting what he wants. Is this bad?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts