Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When your dog jumps on you, turn your back to his face. Then put your hands to your side and look up. When he is down, you can move. If he jumps again, do it again. If he can't see you face, and you aren't moving there's a less chance he'll jump for attention or happiness.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
this is good advice, thank you. it is good to have a solid greeting behavior trained it prevents so many other annoying things! reward your dogs good behavior by giving him attention when he is well mannered and "ignoring" him when he is not. even other dogs don't appreciate "rude" greetings. remember too, not to get mad at your dog, he really missed you and wants to be right in your face to tell you hello....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Great advice! Most people think putting their knee up is the way to stop it but that does not work at all!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is good advice, thank you. it is good to have a solid greeting behavior trained it prevents so many other annoying things! reward your dogs good behavior by giving him attention when he is well mannered and "ignoring" him when he is not. even other dogs don't appreciate "rude" greetings. remember too, not to get mad at your dog, he really missed you and wants to be right in your face to tell you hello....

Yeah. He missed and loves you! Yelling is too negative, and he may think you're hurt or mad at somehting, so he will usually jump more. Yelling is hard to prevent from children or people that are new to ownering.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
not to mention that excited dogs will bash into one another when they play and not even notice! i've also heard to step on their hind feet........neither works. it sometimes helps to train a really solid sit.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Actually to som' dogs your presence alone is rewarding enough that they are not punished by you ignoring them.

To som' dogs jumping itself is self reinforcing (like barking is) so its even harder to fix

Kiwi does not care if you turn away, walk away, stare at the sky...you actually have to physically leave for the punisher to work.

That said, We just started asking for a sit instead and that worked for us.

Either way, I agree with the advice, just doesn't always work by itself :) :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I found it really easy to teach our perseverant dog :)

When you walk in-just like Ceasar (no slapping!!!) no touch, no talk, no eye contact.

Completely ignore your dog.

When your dog jumps up. either turn to the side or put your knee up so your dog falls down from the jump.

After your dog is seated and calmer reward reward reward! Tell him how good he is and pets and loving :)

Put a sign up or tell all your guests what to do-so that your dog learns it's the norm :)

I come to my parents house and Mandy who jumps on everyone, gets out of the way out of the doorway and sits patiently for me _they learn very quickly when you completly ignore :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys, I have a puppy that gets very excited when I get home. I will definitely try your advice.

Thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts