Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is 5 months now, teeth coming in and out everyday and his mouth absolutely reeks. I can't even describe the smell. If he yawns or barks I can smell his mouth even if there's 3' between us. It's terrible. I read that it's normal, that losing teeth just makes a great environment for bacteria but what can I do to lessen its presence? I have been brushing his teeth(no toothpaste) but it's just enough for him to get used to it rather than thorough brushing at the moment, and he's had breath freshening treats(they use parsley) which haven't done squat. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I would treat from the inside........try adding a Chlorophyll supplement...good for digestion and smelly breath/ gut! You can get capsules at a health food store or online, not very expensive at all............1 capsule a day or you can get the liquid and add it to his food or water

Reactions: miniaturehorse

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I have doubts that its a teething issue, but probably a digestive problem. Bad breath is not a normal part of the teething process, at least in my understanding and experience. Wouldn't hurt to have your Vet check him out, could be as simple as a diet change, or????????

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have doubts that its a teething issue, but probably a digestive problem. Bad breath is not a normal part of the teething process, at least in my understanding and experience. Wouldn't hurt to have your Vet check him out, could be as simple as a diet change, or????????
I didn't realize it was either until I did some googling. Even vet websites list teething as a source of bad breath, and it's definitely worse every time he loses more teeth. Unfortunately those sites don't list many ways to deal with the smell/bacteria other than brushing the teeth so I figured I'd ask around here.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have had one pup who had halitosis while teething. It was resolved once all his baby teeth were out. However, as a rule, bad breath is not normal. If it doesn't resolve once his baby teeth are gone, there may be a sore or infection inside the mouth. Have a vet check it out. Antibiotics may be needed.

In the meantime, could try using baby carrots as a treat. My boys love them and they seem to freshen their breath.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts