Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is even possible, but I need to ask.

Tragically, Karitsa killed a raccoon in the yard earlier this week. I was so sad, but she was doing her job of protecting her home so am not mad at her...just sad. After the raccoon incident, I made it a point to go into the yard first and check for any wildlife first. I got home today after dark and took a quick look in the yard before letting the dogs out. All was good for a little while until I heard Hank barking. The neighbours dogs had been barking earlier so I thought he was just joining in. I get them inside then let my 2 fosters out to relieve themselves. Chase starts barking so I go back outside and see that they cornered another raccoon. I got both fosters back inside right away, thankfully they listened. Thank god Karitsa refuses to go outside when I come home in order to say our long-winded hellos, as i'm sure she would have caught that one too and killed it.

Is there a way to keep wildlife out of the yard? I don't want my dogs potentially getting hurt or another animal getting killed again.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I try to keep the garbage as confined outside as possible. Always keep the lid on with a large piece of wood on top. I don't have anywhere else to store the garbage though. No dog/cat food outside nor gardens, so good there. O wonder if sprinkling a deodorizer in the garbage can will help at least a little? I live rural, my neighbours are not very close at all.

I can't afford a wooden fence. I have chain link fencing at the moment.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dogs can keep wildlife out of your yard. That's actually job 1. (I've seen old yeller)
I do NOT want other animals being killed or my dogs getting potentially hurt or resource guarding happening between them. If I have livestock they were protecting, that's a different story.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.