Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6mo old choc lab. So far basic training has been going good. She is proficient at, sit, stay(sometimes), laydown, fetch, leave it, come. However she is only good at this when its just her and I. for instance if we're outside playing fetch and the wind blows and a leaf moves, shes done she wants to chase the leaves and sniff everything and it doesnt matter what i say or do, her attention is no longer on me and it takes alot to get it back on me. usually me pulling her away from the spot and pushing her butt down and standing over her. Another instance, my father came over right when i was taking her out to the bathroom and she took off after him and yanked the leash out of my hand. once again nothing i could say or do would regain her attention. So im wondering what i need to do to get her attention to remain on me even with all those distractions.
Also on the note of my father, she does this with every human. She is very friendly and wants everyones attention. When she sees anyone shell try to run to them and go in and out of their legs. Now usually she is on a leash and she wont yank it away too often but it does happen.
I feel i socialize her pretty well, she see my parents, and friends regularly and then strangers when there are people at the dog park.
So also what can i do so she doesnt run from me when she sees someone, also in line with keeping her attention on me. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Try teaching this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWSJVwZybwo
And don't try to intimidate her by standing over her when you catch her it will make her want to run from you. You want to encourage the positive with treats and praise and don't do anything for the negative. Kikopup will teach you how to train with positive reinforcement. Clicker training is amazing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts