Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I'm a new dog owner and new to this forum. I apologize if this topic has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything using search.

I adopted a dog a month ago. This is my first dog so I'm very new to dog behavior and training. He's a two year old dachshund mix. I also have two cats. He's great with my cats most of the time. The only problem happens when my cats are playing with their toys. He will immediately run over to them and take their toys away so he can play with them. This usually leads to him destroying the toy.

This behavior has lead me to take the cat toys away. My dog loves toys and has a few of his own, but will always choose the cat toy if it's out. My one year old cat also loves toys and doesn't get to play with hers anymore. She's resorted to stealing household items such as rubber bands and pencils so she can play with something. I feel like a bad pet owner because I took away her fun stuff.

So my question is: Is there a way to train my dog to stay away from the cat's toys?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have the same problem. What we do is when we see him with a cat toy we take it away and give him one of his. It's still not working lol but hopefully in the future it will!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Must be a Doxie thing; all four of mine steal cat toys. Leave it and is a great help
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
7,537 Posts
Do you have a cat only space? We relegated the cat toys to the office where the litter box and their food bowls are. If we leave them out Arty destroys them and Apollo chews them to bits...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same problem with our larger dog stealing our kitty boy's toys, but then she's still a puppy (19 months but still considered a puppy...LOL) We do have a seperate room for our kitty boy to call his own and we have a pet gate with a cat door pass thru. Our dog can't get in to the room but our kitty boy can come and go as he pleased thru the door on the gate. We keep all the kitty toys in our cat's room as well as his food and litter box. That's the only way we can keep the dog from trying to play and rip apart the cat's toys. Our dog also does this with our small dogs toys as well....she thinks all toys are hers and tries to claim them all, not letting any of the other pets play with them.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
One of our catahoulas always took our cat's toy away from her! I would switch it with one of her own toys, but as a pup it was as if by stealing the toy she was trying to get the cat to engage in play! Soooo...I would get a cat nip toy and put it in the bathtub, the cat loved it, dog hates baths, lol!!! The cat did get back at our houla by urinating on her dog bed....now who has the upper hand!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.