Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roscoe is ALL BOY and he LOVES getting really dirty! As a consequence, he gets a bath at least once a week, and sometimes two or three times per week. Our concern is that we're going to dry his fur (and skin) out too much. He's a terrier mix, so he doesn't really have smooth, soft, fur to begin with, but we want to keep his coat healthy. Any recommendations about how we can do this with his frequent (sometimes more frequent than others) baths?

TIA

·
Registered
155 Posts
Asha has a bath once a week, she actually had worse skin problems when she wasn't getting bathed often enough. I find if she has a natural shampoo and conditioner with no sulphate and chemicals it keeps her coat in really good condition.

Asha has kind of stiff prickly coat but with a good dog shampoo and conditioner she is so soft and everyone always comments on how nice, shiny and soft her coat is.

I buy her a sulphate free dog conditioner mix it with her shampoo and then I only have to rinse her off once, saves a bit of time.

Reactions: gngracie

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Asha has a bath once a week, she actually had worse skin problems when she wasn't getting bathed often enough. I find if she has a natural shampoo and conditioner with no sulphate and chemicals it keeps her coat in really good condition.

Asha has kind of stiff prickly coat but with a good dog shampoo and conditioner she is so soft and everyone always comments on how nice, shiny and soft her coat is.

I buy her a sulphate free dog conditioner mix it with her shampoo and then I only have to rinse her off once, saves a bit of time.
Oh, I love that idea! Thank you.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
get a shampoo/comditioner with no sulphates or parabens or any nasties in that will help prevent it and also all natural should help. you can also give coconut oil (unrefined i think) daily to help prevent it

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, Crazy. How much coconut oil should I give? Roscoe is currently 29.1 lbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you, Crazy. How much coconut oil should I give? Roscoe is currently 29.1 lbs.

Here is a really good article on feeding coconut oil. I buy cold pressed organic. I also use it on my skin so I know from 1st hand experience you do not get the same results from the cheaper ones. Bo loves it and he is very shiny and soft. The more sensitive the dogs stomach the slower you introduce it.

How to Feed your Dog or Cat Coconut Oil

·
Registered
989 Posts
I use earthbath on Cosmo and it's lovely. Not to mention all natural! And I can bathe him once a week if I want, however he really doesn't need that. More like one every 2/3 weeks, I'm shocked at how clean he stays - the dirt just sheds right off!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I buy cold pressed organic. I also use it on my skin so I know from 1st hand experience you do not get the same results from the cheaper ones.

I second this the organic cold pressed it the best. The other ones that are processed are not worth anything. All the goodness and the wonderful smell is cooked out. Trader Joes has a good one that is not so expensive. Recommendation on feeding start slow. 1/4 tsp work your way up over time to a teaspoon so the stomach does not get upset. Forgot the shampoo it does not contain soap or detergent so is mild.
Pet Deodorizing Shampoos : Amazon.com: Kelco 50:1 Filthy Animal Shampoo, 11 oz.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Yes a natural shampoo and conditioner if you choose to use a conditioner. You could also opt to simply rinse her real good and not use a shampoo at all.

Also, make sure that her coat and skin are healthy from the inside out too. So a good quality diet and you can always supplement with some salmon oil.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the suggestions! I'll be checking out coconut oil, salmon oil, and Earthbound shampoo.

I'm hoping this will work - I'm trying to insert of a picture of Roscoe at the dog park with his bedraggled, muddy beard to give you an idea of just how messy this little angel gets on a regular basis. lol

Attachments

Reactions: newdoggirl

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I don't wash Sancho very often so he doesn need it, but I use coconut oil for my own hair and when I've still have something on my hands after finishing I massage the rest in Sanchos fur...he likes it and the fur looks really shiny and smooth ofter wards.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
from the article you were given looks like tablespoon a day but you need to work up to it slowly as to not give runs or upset stomach.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
** UPDATE ** I've been giving Roscoe coconut oil orally each day since the middle of November, and I rub a little into his fur after I slather it on my face (sometimes daily, sometimes every 2-3 days). In addition, we switched to a sulfate-free shampoo. We have noticed a definite difference in his coat, which no longer looks dull. I just wanted to update this thread in case anyone else has the same question.

Wishing everyone and their pups a happy new year!

Reactions: crazy
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.