Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 yr old corgi that spends the majority of his time outside. But in the fall I will be moving to an apartment, and I have every intention of bringing him with me, but I don't know what the best way too integrate him too indoor life would be. The person I'm living with now won't allow any indoor pets, so I can't even start getting him used to it now.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I think that if you provide your dog with adequate walks (he will need to go potty + he will miss the "great outside" a bit im sure) he will actually be happier in the apartment with you than he is now. I think he`ll get used to it pretty quick. Dogs love being with their humans and I`m sure he`ll be delighted. The first weeks will probably be stressfull --- I imagine quite a bit of whining/pacing around etc.

He`s an old dog so you must take him out often enough (just like old people, old dogs need to go to bathroom more often) and I`d say at least 4x a day.

I know a dog who was a guard dog - the poor thing guarded a farm ALONE during the week while his owners lived in a city. He was "upgraded" to a pet when he was 5. Despite for living the 5 five years of his life alone on a farm chained to a doghouse he made the most wonderful pet. Rex is perfect around both human and dog guests and now sleeps on a sofa ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I won't know what my work schedule will be, but I'll try to take him out as often as possible. There will be other people living there too, so perhaps if I'm gone they can take him out. Would it maybe be a good idea to get one of those indoor potty areas in case no one is there to take him out?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I won't know what my work schedule will be, but I'll try to take him out as often as possible. There will be other people living there too, so perhaps if I'm gone they can take him out. Would it maybe be a good idea to get one of those indoor potty areas in case no one is there to take him out?
That's not a bad idea for a senior dog.

Dogs are adaptable, just be patient and kind. He might whine or cry or pace at first due to anxiety from all the changes, but he'll get used to his new situation. You can help him adjust more quickly by giving him lots of treats and just being patient with him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts