Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7 month old dog gets super excited whenever he sees people outside of my family. He is mouthy with these people, too - not painfully, just rudely. He's not mouthy with me, though, so I'm not sure how to break him of this habit. I usually hold on to him and prevent him from getting to our guests because he is just soooo wild. He will start lunging and straining, trying to get to these people, and whining desperately all the while. It's very difficult to get, let alone hold, his attention. Is this typical of dogs his age?

Would asking people to just ignore him until he calms down be an effective way to teach him to greet people more calmly? What other strategies could I use? I feel somewhat awkward asking people to treat him differently than they are. What's a good way to bring this up?

Thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes have people ignore him at first. He may be getting enough stimulation from the reactions of people feeding into his hyper demeanor. "Ooh look at the puppy let's all lose our minds!!" lol Tell your guests to ignore him and ONLY when he shows moments of calm and self control does he get contact. Momentary calm contact not wacky let's rev up the puppy contact. It's your house and your dog. Guests must abide by your rules. If pup goes off and lies down quietly tell guests to leave him alone! He is not there for their trivial entertainment. JMHO

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Not giving attention for inappropriate behavior is half of the equation; the dog also needs to learn and be reinforced for appropriate behaviors.

There's great information in this sticky: Polite Greetings with people and dogs!

Two techniques I've had success with
- Premack - Have the dog sitting at your side, ask a friend to approach. If (when :) )the dog gets up, the friend retreats. Repeat the process until the dog is sitting nicely for the entire approach and greeting. It may take several trials over different days, with different people, in different situations for this to become generalized to all people, all the time. My super excitable, super social dog is learning well with this method (we've never had access to friends/family who can follow directions, so it's taken a loooong time).

- Treats on the floor - When someone (or you) approaches, toss treats on the floor to direct puppy's attention there. Puppy gets attention while his paws are on the floor. This is the method Kikopup demonstrates, so there are more details in the video: jumping up. My puppy learned easily with this method, but he's much more reserved than my other dog and didn't have a history of being reinforced for jumping.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts