Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! So, beau hates the water. We give him a bath once every week with this natural shampoo (it doesn't dry out his skin at all) and try to give him treats while he's being cleaned.
We took him to the beach twice, and he absolutely hated it. We live in south california and we want to take him to the dog beach a lot. He like digging in the sand, but as soon as I started walking to the water holding his leash he bolted away and after that refused to come near the wet sand.

He's a goldendoodle, so I thought when I got him he would enjoy the water because both breeds do, but I guess he's different. Is there anything I can do to make him like swimming or do some dogs just not like it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
My dog isn't a fan of the water either. But just dropping him into tub full of water and expecting him to like it, isn't the way to go. Oddly, I take a lot of baths and since he follows me like a shadow, he would hangout in the bathroom while I bathed. He eventually got used to the sound of the faucet and me splashing him once in awhile. Try bringing his toys in there and playing with him in the tub WITHOUT water first and try to keep doing this until he's used to it and gradually introduce him to deeper water.

If time goes on and nothing you do works, some dogs just don't like water just like how some cats actually love water.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Some dogs just aren't a fan of water. You could try some CC'ing with water but he just might never be a fan of it.
Go slow, he might find the water scary. Give him praise and treats just for being near/walking near the water. Then build up to something like walking in the wet sand for shot periods of time, even if its a couple of seconds. Then you can slowly build up to actually being in the water.
Also keep in mind that being in a bathtub with water is different then a ocean of water. Maybe try working with him some were with calmer water like a brook or small pond.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts