Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Refunds The main attraction of these insurances is the reimbursement of veterinary expenses. There are some who get paid 90% of the expenses, which is essential in the case of expensive operations.

Medicines. Some veterinary policies also partially cover expenses on pet medicines.

Prevention Expenses A very attractive part of these policies is that they include more frequent tests and vaccines, which contribute to making the price more attractive.

Cremation. Some pet insurance also includes expenses related to euthanasia, burial or burning.

In social networks, there are more and more cases of pet owners desperately seeking money to cover their veterinarian's expenses. Withdrawals are organized, personal items are sold and donations are required to pay bills.

“We believe the potential for developing veterinary insurance for pets is enormous. It is not a product targeted at the wealthy, but middle classes with a pet and don't want to face exorbitant bills if they have to practice them,” says Salord.

The roots of veterinary insurance in Spain are much lower than other European countries.

"In the UK, the penetration of this type of product reaches 25%, in France up to 5% of pets and in Sweden 40% of dogs have some kind of insurance coverage," explains Luis Manuel Halcon Guardiola, an online partner manager. Veterinary Insurance.

In Spain, the low contract for this type of insurance contrasts with the money spent on pets.

A report by an association of veterinarians in Madrid estimates that dog owners pay 456 euros a year for food and snacks and 358 euros for veterinarians, medicines and cleaning.

In the case of cats, food bills are on average 350 euros a year and bills of medicine and veterinary medicine to 186 euros.

The big problem lies in the case of surgical interventions. Although these are simple operations, they always require total anesthesia and on a day of admission to the clinic. This makes bills ranging from 1000 to 3000 euros.

Veterinary clinics usually have medical plans that include reviews, vaccinations and de-worming, but coverage in case of operations is usually limited to a discount of 10% to 20%.

For more about securing speech in case of injury hereHow does pet insurance cover cataract surgery for dogs? - Pet Area

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought pet insurance for my dogs because of the scary stories like this. Reality is, it is probably more hype than reality. My dog was recently diagnosed with cancer -- after numerous x-rays, biopsy, meds, etc the reimbursement that I received from my insurance carrier (they cover 90% after a $500 deductible - but they do not cover wellness visits; those policies are much more expensive) was less than my premiums over the past few years - and every year they go up (now almost double the original premium - but you don't want to cancel because you have put so much money into it!). I'll be thinking twice about getting it again. I think you just have to find a good vet that charges reasonable fees, set a little aside every month and you should be fine, even if cancer is the diagnosis -- which I thought would be a lot more expensive. Unlike people, there is no cure for my dog's type of cancer - any treatment would only give him 3 more months of life, and he'd be miserable for those 3 months from the treatments.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
The value varies, depending on your experience. In our case, we have had insurance on ours since we adopted her, over ten years ago. We have had a number of medical issues with her, and rarely do not at least get our premium back during an insurance year, and on several occasions substantially more. Yes the premiums go up annually, but her medical needs also increase every year. I would have to say, in our case, the insurance is well worth it, I would not be without it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The value varies, depending on your experience. In our case, we have had insurance on ours since we adopted her, over ten years ago.
Mind if I ask how much your insurance has increased over the years? That's what worries me the most about pet insurance.

I also don't ever want to be without it for my dog. I haven't even had it for 2 years yet, and thankfully the first annual increase was only $5.00. I just hope that future increases are not a problem.

Over the last few days my dog has yelped when I touch her ear. Since it's the weekend I was waiting to take her in. I do have to pay the exam fee, but any tests or prescriptions are covered 90%.

I know it can be hard to take on another bill and sometimes it's just not possible, but if it is possible, then I highly recommend pet insurance. It gives peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
DogFaming, the premium has just about doubled in the ten years we have had the policy for Samantha. Unfortunately, a year and a half ago, she became very, very sick, our Vet diagnosed it as a neurological issue and referred us to a neurology center, about 45 miles from where we live. She was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder, that was attacking her central nervous system. I won't even give amounts for what the testing and treatment cost, but suffice to say, i was very grateful that we carried insurance for her. That one year paid premiums for a number of years to come. At this point, the neurologist has declared her in full remission, though we still, and will for the rest of her life, give her very small doses of medication to keep her in remission. We tried taking her off all meds, and she relapsed in ten days. She has been on this low dose for well over a year, now, and does well, so we know that is what we need to do. Sorry for the long diatribe, but that is what insurance is all about, you really don't need it, until you do, and then??????????? I sleep better, just knowing she is fully insured.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts