Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My dog takes an allergy pill. I usually give it to her in a lamb meatball but lately she's been spitting it up. Problem is, she's allergic to peanut butter, cheese, and pill pockets (even the "allergy friendly" ones) so not sure what else to try. Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
If you can find a hot dog that she can handle those work very well.

What I've been doing lately is using the canned food that I feed my boy to hide his allergy pill in. It works best with the pate type food, but if you have to putting the food in the food processor and grinding it up to get it to pate consistency also works. Let the food get cold in the fridge and it's easy to form a ball around the pill.

If your dog is the suspicious type and likes to eat the food from around the pill then get a few pieces of whatever you hid the pill in along with the one with the pill, feed a couple pieces of the food rapidly, then give him the one with the pill, then a couple more without it. Do it fast so that he does not have time to eat around the pill before the next piece of food is coming.

Reactions: Butterfly88

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
You could try giving it in little meat balls of ground chicken, turkey or beef then. If that still doesn't work, you may just need to go with the traditional "pilling" style. Put the pill at the very back of the tongue and hold their head up until they swallow. Maybe even pushing the pill on farther back to the throat to make them swallow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts