Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to get dog to stop barking when alone?!

852 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jessica1674 
Hi everyone. So my dog is now about 8 months old. He used to sleep in his pen in the house, but he started waking up at random times of the night and barking, so we moved him into the little outside room/garage to sleep in, or when we leave. When we put him in the pen to leave(he's good at bed time) he starts barking and it's getting kind of annoying and I don't want the neighbors to complain. We leave him with different toys and his bed, but he still barks. We walk him twice a day and play fetch/tug of war so he gets lots fo exercise.

Do you have any tips to help him? My dad want's to get him a shock collar if nothing works (maybe one of those citronella ones), but I really don't want to.
Thanks.
I wouldn't use a bark (shock) collar in your situation, where your dog might be barking for anxiety reasons, and you haven't actually tried training yet. A shock collar in this situation might just force the dog to turn to other unwanted anxious behaviors, like destructive chewing or self-mutilation. Bark collars work for dogs who are stable, confident, just barking because they like barking and are having fun barking, and not for behavioral reasons- and as a last resort after you've already tried different kinds of training.

I took my puppy from a dog foster home about a year ago. I love him to bits; he has a great personality, and I feel that he loves our family so much. BUT, whenever I take him for a walks we have problems. So, going for walks is always a challenge for us. And he barks A LOT.
My husband and I were thinking about taking him to 'doggy school', but then again, it’s extremely expensive, and the nearest 'doggy school' is far away from us. Maybe you have some advice? THANK YOU!!!!
I think making a new thread will get more help for your situation! (instead of commenting on this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.