Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all,
I have had the pleasure of owning a French Bulldog for the last 5 months and he has turned out to be a really fantastic addition to the family. He is a quick learner, especially when food is involved, and provides us with daily entertainment. The only problem is that he is always waking up sometime between 4.45am-5.30am! EVERY day. We have tried taking him out for a long walk before bed, keeping him awake in the evenings so he doesnt over sleep, making sure he goes to the bathroom just before bed etc, but he still wakes up so early!
To be fair to him, he does go outside to pee as soon as we get down to him so he clearly needs to go, but by taking him out last thing before bed, I thought this would prevent this from happening. If I then go back to sleep on the sofa til a more sensible hour, he is happy to go back to sleep.
Is there anything that we can do to keep him sleeping to around 7am?
Many thanks for any advice you can give!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Try keeping him active during the day... if he's only 5 months old, remember he's still a puppy filled with lots of energy. You can also try pushing the time you let him out a little longer. For instance instead of letting him out when he gets up at 4:45 try to push it until 5 before you let him out and slowly extend the time.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hello, all,
I have had the pleasure of owning a French Bulldog for the last 5 months and he has turned out to be a really fantastic addition to the family. He is a quick learner, especially when food is involved, and provides us with daily entertainment. The only problem is that he is always waking up sometime between 4.45am-5.30am! EVERY day. We have tried taking him out for a long walk before bed, keeping him awake in the evenings so he doesnt over sleep, making sure he goes to the bathroom just before bed etc, but he still wakes up so early!
To be fair to him, he does go outside to pee as soon as we get down to him so he clearly needs to go, but by taking him out last thing before bed, I thought this would prevent this from happening. If I then go back to sleep on the sofa til a more sensible hour, he is happy to go back to sleep.
Trucker gets up at 4:30 every morning and he is 2.5, on weekends I just take him out with all the lights off and let him potty, then re-crate him with a stuffed kong till 6:00. I think he just wakes up bored and is ready for a bathroom break.

Reactions: RichJ85

·
Registered
911 Posts
If he need to get up and pee than I'm not sure there is a lot you can do. I'd try limiting water at night and take him out right before bed. Get him good and tired too like you said. When Vegas was a puppy I had to keep him up during the day, he would want to play all night otherwise. Now Freyja wakes me up around four or five most mornings. She doesn't have to pee, but she'll go if I take her out. She just wants company. This morning she climbed up into bed and wasn't in the way so I let her stay. Then she slept till after seven, when Shorty woke us up. Sometimes I just can't fall back to sleep after she wakes me and I'll get up. She'll then follow me and curl up on the couch and sleep.

Reactions: Cynna

·
Registered
500 Posts
Pax went through a phase where he would wake me up at the crack of dawn EVERY morning cuz he wanted to get up and eat. I started giving him a hefty handful of kibble after I let him out at night right before bed and he started sleeping in longer.

·
Banned
275 Posts
I'm on here right now (at 6:30am on a Saturday) because Winston and Pete had to go outside. Any time from 5:30am on they (especially Winston) are ready to go out. It's just their routine because I get up around 6am 5 mornings out of the week, so that's when they're used to going out. Winston sleeps with me, so the moment he senses that I'm awake (and he seems to know this even when I'm "playing possum" and trying to trick him into thinking I'm still asleep), he's jumping off of the bed and running to the door. Sometimes I can tell him "No, not yet," and he'll come back to bed, but he's usually not going to go back to sleep and any movement I make in the bed will send him running to the door again.

My suggestions are the same as everyone else's though. Tire him out in the evenings, take him out for the last time as late as possible, and start pushing the time you take him out in the mornings back by a few minutes. What does he do when he wakes up? Does he whine? Is he reliably house trained? Is he crated?

It's 6:44 now, and the dogs went out at around 6:15. They were back in by 6:30 when I started typing this. Pete just goes back to sleep, but Winston eats (I feed free choice) when he comes in, gets a long drink of water, and is now back on the bed with me and will stay there until I'm ready to get up for the day.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello, all,
Lol been there but I just dealt with it till she got a bit older. Mine is 9 months now and she will sleep till 7 but I'm usually up early anyway because of work. Start making the pup wait an extra 20 minutes until he's used to it. I've even gotten up not talking to mine and ignoring her while letting her out to pee, then put her right back to bed and that works too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He just whines quietly to begin with, then gradually louder until you hear him and get up. He is house trained so will hold it until he gets outside, then he'll try to start playtime but if I grab a hold of him and lay down on the sofa, we'll both go back to sleep for an hour or so until the right time.
I understand the early weekend wake-ups as hes used to someone being around from 5.30am during the week. It's the 4.30am-ish wakeups that are the problem. We take his water away from him at around 7.30pm and food away at 8pm. Since hes only 7 months old, I'm hoping it'll get better as he gets older.

·
Registered
66 Posts
He just whines quietly to begin with, then gradually louder until you hear him and get up. He is house trained so will hold it until he gets outside, then he'll try to start playtime but if I grab a hold of him and lay down on the sofa, we'll both go back to sleep for an hour or so until the right time.
I understand the early weekend wake-ups as hes used to someone being around from 5.30am during the week. It's the 4.30am-ish wakeups that are the problem. We take his water away from him at around 7.30pm and food away at 8pm. Since hes only 7 months old, I'm hoping it'll get better as he gets older.
I'd ignore him that early for sure, he will stop especially that he's 7 months. He's used to you getting up, they are like clockwork lol good luck!

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
24 Posts
He is still in a kennel I assume? Is he in a different room? Or in the same room?

I'll be honest...it is his age quite frankly. I have an 11 month puppy and he sleeps until 10am now. Up until about 6-7months he used to get up at 6:30am-7am all the time. It drove me nuts! I tried letting him bark it out, but that never worked. I found that as he got older, he didn't care too much about waking the household at the crack of dawn.

If your pup is in a kennel, try 'baby gating' him in a room with wood or tile floors that is puppy proof and let him sleep there over night. I actually did this for a while because I found that it was a matter of my pup not wanting to be in the cage when he woke up. He would be quiet for 30 min more if he was not in his cage before barking to go outside.

My pup is back in the kennel overnight due to the 'terrible teen phase' that started at 9 months where he thought he would test boundaries and 'let loose' #2 in the house in the morning. But try it if your pup is in a kennel still....leave his door open in a safe area and see if he lets you sleep more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He's in his own crate downstairs during the night which is inside a fairly large caged playpen. During the day, he has access to the whole thing but at night we put him just in his crate to stop him wandering around or going to the bathroom indoors.
This morning he was up at 5.15am after being put to bed around 11.30pm. After going to the bathroom, he slept on the sofa until around 9am so it seems like hes wanting to go back to sleep. Maybe its he's gotta go when he's gotta go....

·
Registered
874 Posts
He's in his own crate downstairs during the night which is inside a fairly large caged playpen. During the day, he has access to the whole thing but at night we put him just in his crate to stop him wandering around or going to the bathroom indoors.
This morning he was up at 5.15am after being put to bed around 11.30pm. After going to the bathroom, he slept on the sofa until around 9am so it seems like hes wanting to go back to sleep. Maybe its he's gotta go when he's gotta go....
Trucker will bark to let me know if he really has to go. Otherwise I am ignoring him moving around in his crate or chewing on his bone till at least 6:30am.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Have you tried putting him back in his crate after you let him out? Kinda seems like he just can't hold it that long and needs a potty break. I would put him back in the crate after his potty break, don't play with him or go for a walk. Just get him out of his crate, outside to potty, praise/treat for going outside and then back in his crate. No toys, no play, no excitement. That way he knows that whining in his crate only gets him a potty break.

Around that age my pup would wake me up somewhere around 6 or 7 to go out but we be content to go back to sleep after that. As he gets older he'll sleep more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.