Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I was lying in bed last night-unable to get asleep 'cause of the heat- and wondering if you got like a rescue that is shy and untrusting how can you get it's trust

Dobergirl

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Oh, I'd start by committing to a year of clicker training.... like several 10 minute sessions a day... or even just have the clicker and treat bag on me all day long and c/t the dog for every thing he does that shows some confidence or comfort level with humans. :)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
the number one way to earn anyone's trust is to be predictable...
Ooh! I like that!

Maybe we can add some other things to that and make a list?
I'd add.

- Be calm and non-threatening with your own body language: don't stare directly at pup's eyes, take a curved path to the dog rather than striding right to him, don't loom over him, get down to his level and allow him to come to you etc.!

- Use a calm encouraging voice at all times. No deep voice, no shouting or "commanding".

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool! Sounds interesting. How long would it take a moderately trusting dog to fully trust a human?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Of course it takes time and a lot of love to win a dogs trust, but they naturally want to please you and be with you whenever possible. The key is to be around them and interact with them in positive ways and reward them when they do the things you want them to. Rewards are not always just treats, but showing them love, petting them, verbally praising them and doing things with them they enjoy are just as important.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Cool! Sounds interesting. How long would it take a moderately trusting dog to fully trust a human?
Gosh, I guess that would be different for every dog - handler combination. And "fully trust" is hard to pin down. I think any dog has limits to its trust, just like any of us humans, especially when it comes to feeling physically unsafe.

You'd need to get some feedback from people who have done a lot of rescues. What I've read people say is that some dogs take weeks, months or even years to "come around" depending...

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Hello!

I was lying in bed last night-unable to get asleep 'cause of the heat- and wondering if you got like a rescue that is shy and untrusting how can you get it's trust

Dobergirl
this helps a lot to help build confidence and kikopup is helpful to train many behaviors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts