Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a new job offer (yippee!! :) ) that will allow me to do more as the pay and hours are SO much better than the crappy place i'm working at now provides.

I was thinking of having Karitsa in day care once a week to help with keeping her socialized (she is a foster fail). By me fostering dogs helps me tremendously in keeping my dogs social with other dogs but I really need a break from it for a while (I've been doing this for over 6 years straight with little to no breaks, even while I was in school full-time).

Seeing as Karitsa's past is relatively unknown, she seems like a pretty social girl but want to keep up with socialization when I take a break from fostering. I won't stop going into town with her or anything, just want an added social time for her.

How do I go about finding a good place that will keep her safe during day care? What sorts of questions do I ask? What are red flags that I should avoid? What should I be looking for?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Tour the facilities- are they clean? Can you see how employees interact with the dogs (during a tour the dogs will probably stop what they're doing and start barking their heads off at you- if there is a webcam or observation window that might be a better option for watching dog-dog and employee-dog interactions). If you can't tour and/or there are no webcams, I'd avoid that place. I once toured a daycare (got a job offer there) that let employees smoke right in the dog yards and drink during certain shifts! The owner bragged about that as if it would entice me to work there. So unprofessional and potentially dangerous, but no one would know unless they toured.

How are the groups set up? Energy level, size, play style? Are there groups built around "special" dogs (problems such as same sex aggression, prey drive towards small dogs, socially awkward, etc)? Would you feel comfortable if your dogs were in a group with these "special" dogs?

What degree of play do the employees allow? Most daycares allow 1 on 1 wrestling but do not allow rough play, sprinting, or more than two dogs playing together (to avoid ganging up on one). How do the staff address inappropriate play or other behaviors such as humping, bullying, nuisance barking, etc? Redirection, time outs, leash work, spray bottles, let the dogs "work it out," etc? Which methods do you feel comfortable with?

How are the employees trained and how much training do they receive? The first kennel I worked at didn't train us at all- just stuck me in a group by myself and told me to spray the dogs with a hose if they started fighting! The kennel I'm at now spends months training employees on dog health and behavior. We even have to become pet first aid and cpr certified.

Do they want to meet the dog and owner before their first day? Are there interviews or evaluations conducted to determine which groups the dogs best fit into, or if they're even safe for daycare at all? These are inconvenient, but I worked at a kennel once where anyone could drop off any dog, including aggressive dogs! The daycare I work at now interviews each dog before their first day to evaluate how they are with strangers, groups of dogs, and in kennels/crates to ensure their first day is as stress free and safe as possible.

And I guess what sorts of vaccinations they require, what do they do in a medical emergency, are the dogs ever left alone, etc. There have been a couple of scary posts on the forum recently about dogs getting killed during boarding- if you haven't seen them check them out so you know what not to look for (leaving groups unattended, headphones on during work, not adequately separating dogs with high prey drive from small dogs)!

Reviews by customers may be helpful, but take them with a grain of salt. The terrible kennel I worked at has better reviews than the good kennel I work at now because the other company gives incentives to customers to give good reviews on yelp, facebook, etc like a free day of daycare or a free bath.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I once toured a daycare (got a job offer there) that let employees smoke right in the dog yards and drink during certain shifts! The owner bragged about that as if it would entice me to work there. So unprofessional and potentially dangerous, but no one would know unless they toured.

How are the employees trained and how much training do they receive? The first kennel I worked at didn't train us at all- just stuck me in a group by myself and told me to spray the dogs with a hose if they started fighting! The kennel I'm at now spends months training employees on dog health and behavior. We even have to become pet first aid and cpr certified.
The very first place I started never trained me either, they threw me in there with a bunch of snotty girls who were more interested in being on the phone, wanting to fight each other, mistreating dogs, and the list goes on. I barely lasted a month there, I couldn't take the drama. I'd cry every day after I'd leave because of how poorly the animals were being treated, I contacted the BBB right after I left. A couple months after I saw the facility on the news, an aggressive dog was put in a playgroup, he attacked another dog, tore his ear in half and the owner was nowhere to be found..when she was contacted she said she was not responsible. I was horrified.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I agree with all the above said, also I would add to it that let your dog decided if she likes it or not. I mean I know a lot of times they just don't want to be left and would cry, but you know your dog the best and could see exactly if something is wrong with the place, and she does not feel safe or cared for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts