Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday, I went through the horrible experience of having to put my dog, Baylor, to sleep at 9 1/2 years old. It has been the single hardest experience in my 33+ years I have been alive. He was the perfect dog for me. We (me and my girlfriend at the time) got him at the Humane society here in town 9 years ago. Knowing very little about dog breeds, we found out he was most likely a Border Collie and Australian Shepherd mix, possibly having a little Blue Heeler in him as well. Whatever he was, he was the most loyal, energetic, and smartest dog I have ever come across personally (I'm not saying that just because he was my dog, lol;)).

I'm not just ready to jump out and get another dog just yet, but things are too quiet and depressing for a single guy like me around here and I feel that I will be ready for one quite sooner than I originally expected. So I have come to the conclusion that I would like one of the same breeds as Baylor, hoping that he will be smart and loyal (maybe not quite so energetic, but I won't complain if he is).

How do I go about finding these breeds? I don't have much luck using Google, and I would also like to see the dog rather than having him shipped from somewhere and only getting a picture beforehand. I live in Columbia, MO and can drive a couple of hours or so to find one. I fear that I will have to wait until one just magically pops up at the humane society. That might take longer than I want to wait.

Here is a picture of him at about 1 1/2 years old. I miss you much little buddy:(:

Baylor Small.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to hear about your lose and I understand. It was a year and a half ago that I had to put down the best dog I ever had and I still grieve. Someone once said that Monet was my doggy soulmate, I don't think it could have been put any better than that when discribing the relationship between me and Monet.

When I knew I had to have another standard poodle in my life, I also had a hard time finding one. In the end, I checked out petfinder and that's how I ended up with Chewie. In my case, he was at a pound over 2 hours from me and it cost me $40 to bail him out. But alot of rescue groups also post on petfinder, their adoption cost will be higher, but you also get a dog that has had all medical care and from someone who knows the dogs personality, in the end, you are still taking in a dog that needs a home. Just type petfinder in your search engine, from the home page, put in your zipcode, click on dogs, then see all breeds and then click on the breed you are interested in. Alot of the listing will be mix breeds, but there will also be pure breeds.

But be forwarned. When you find a new companion, he/she will not be like Baylor. He/she will be have it's own personality and if you are looking for another Baylor, you'll be disapointed in any dog you get. Chewie is no where near what Monet was, he never will be, there will never be another Monet. But Chewie is Chewie and I love and accept him for what he is.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sorry for your loss :( it's always hard to lose a friend :(

Why don't you just get a pure breed Border Collie? they're the smartest (and most energetic) dogs around, or you could also get a pure breed Australian Shepherd, or maybe go to the humane society again and try another type of dog? who knows, change could be a good thing.
What's your living conditions, and what do you expect from a dog exactly? so we might be able to help you find a breed suitable for your needs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the support and options everyone. Everyones support and sympathy have really been helping me.

I realize I may be subconsciously wanting another Baylor (I'd be lying if I said otherwise), but in reality I know better. The main qualities that I most admired about Baylor was the fact that I walked him leash free in parks that allowed it and he never left my range of sight, he rarely tried to leave the yard when I went out front yard with him, and he learned everything quickly. Also his loyalty, playfulness, and the fact that it seemed he knew what I was saying when I talked to him. Things that I'd like to avoid that Baylor had were TPLO surgeries (He had both legs done), and possibly not quite so energetic when he was younger (again, I know this is characteristic of Border Collies), and a certain stubbordness when he was lying next to me if I moved and bumped him he would growl, get up and move across the room, (I actually found that quite funny), and he also hated getting his fur brushed and nails trimmed, but that was my fault for not making him "understand" as a young pup.

I guess a little bit about me could help. I am, of course, single for now. So I do need a companion. I work 45 hours a week average, and usually go out of town for my other "job" as a musician on Saturdays for about 10 hours about three months out of the year. Other than that, I am quite the homebody. I need somebody to keep me going, someone to join me for walks in the park.

Living conditions as of right now are city living, but a back yard that is bigger than my house which seems rare these days (about 13-1500 square feet of back yard space) with a big shade tree and a few smaller ones at the edges of the yard. Baylor never once tried to get out of the yard, no matter how many cats or squirrels ran by on the other side of the fence. So I do not want to be chaining my new dog, unless I have no other way of keeping him back there. It is a chain linked fence, about 3 feet high. I want a dog that can be outside while I'm at work except during extreme high or low tempereatures, and inside in the evenings and when I'm home.

Is it too much to ask for a dog that would tell me when something is wrong with him? If Baylor had done this I wouldn't be here right now:(.

Edit: Hey barbiespoodle, is Chewie short for Chewbacca? My boss's dogs name is Chewie also, but short for Chewbacca.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Reading what you say I think that a Border collie or an Aussie may not be the right choice for you.

It seems that you have been very lucky with Baylor, but given the breeds' characteristic's you could get yourself into trouble by choosing a puppy of one of these breeds. Border collies are very energetic, they normally need to work in order not to drive insane and they jump easily over a three feet fence. I think it was just luck that yours never did it. I'd therefore recommend to go something smaller to which your fence does present an obstacle -as leaving the dog on a chain definitely cannot be an option for somebody who loves his dog as you did and will again. Speaking of loving the dog: honestly, I do not think that a dog should be left alone all day on a daily basis. They need their family unless it is a very independent breed, but one of these dogs probably would not make you happy and still it would need something to do in order not to get bored to death in your backyard.

Talking of breeds, I have an Irish Terrier. She is all you probably would like: she learns very fast, she is witty and energetic (but not in that everlasting crazy Border Collie way). Other terriers are similar. And as most of them are rather smaller, they are probable to remain into your backyard.

You are looking for a companion which is completely understandable. Please do not forget that dogs need a companion too. Maybe you could consider to get two dogs? It would avoid them to be left alone all day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Snoopy for your input. I have often thought about getting 2 dogs, but I don't know if I'm up to the task.

My chain link fence is 3 feet at one point, the rest is around 3 1/2 feet or higher. Does anyone else have any input on this matter? I realize I may have been lucky with Baylor, but I've seen more than one dog my size or bigger in a chain link fenceded backyard.....

Is 10 hours a day too long for a dog to be left alone? In reality, it would only be 4 days a week....the saturday "gigs" will probably only last until the end of summer. They are not every saturday, just 2 a month, July has 3. Only 10 left total. Overtime at work is usually not necessary, and just 5 hours on Friday. I can come home for lunch, I work less than 10 miles away.

Sorry if this is too detailed, I'm actually thinking in my head as I type this. I really need another companion in my life soon (aside from a girl of course), but I don't want to create problems.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
PETFINDER DOT COM.

say it to yourself outloud ten times ;)

or better yet...just go www.petfinder.com

I really strongly suggest you rescue an adult dog vs. a puppy from a breeder given your schedual.

I think it will be gratifying for you to help a dog as much as a dog will help you right now.

Also I'd put breed preferences out of your head...just go with a dog that feels right and fits you. Herding breeds are ALOT of work which you probably don't need right now.

If I may make the suggestion of a greyhound? They need homes and two greyhounds is easily less work than ONE herding breed. Yes you read that right. They are used to kenneling all day already and would have no problem holding it for ten hours :)

www.adopt-a-greyhound.org

Sorry for your loss and please keep the questions coming :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts