Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have approximately a 5 month old beagle mix, we rescued him, who I am not kidding will eat and eat and eat! He is fed 3 meals a day, 1 1/2 cups AM, 1/2 cup noon, 1 1/2 cups - 2 cups PM. I now this is a lot of food for a little guy but trust me my dog is by no means overweight at all...I dont know if its the food...hes on Natural Choice (Herring formula) but this is the only stuff that he has not had diarrhea from. First I have read that dogs should be fed once a day? My vet says 3 times till 6 months then twice a day. Also is there anything we can add to fill him up (like chicken or green beans or vitamins?)? He doesnt get treats daily because his stomach is senstive. Any advice would be appreciated...

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you! He eats super fast and bloat is always on my mind so we spread the food out for him ALONE in the room. So if its the food and every other higher quality food we have tried gives him diarrhea what do we do? LOL if his metabolism is high, which I feel this may be it, how do we fill him up? LOL aaaaah! I was thinking of doing green beans but will that even fill him up? they dont fill me up HAHA

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
thank you! He eats super fast and bloat is always on my mind so we spread the food out for him ALONE in the room. So if its the food and every other higher quality food we have tried gives him diarrhea what do we do? LOL if his metabolism is high, which I feel this may be it, how do we fill him up? LOL aaaaah! I was thinking of doing green beans but will that even fill him up? they dont fill me up HAHA

hahah... green beans might work...I've used rice or oatmeal in the past... diarhea on uber premium foods is expected at first...some dogs bodies freak out at "real" food.. ...its one of those trial by fire things... once their body figures it out it'll settle...Kiwi had soft stools for weeks when i switched her to grain free kibble.

Im assuming you've tried the whole gradual switch/mixing foods thing.

The oatmeal helps for diarhea too... just in case. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes we have slowly switched, had him since march and this is the 3rd food...first we did blue buffalo and his diarrhea was HORRIBLE watery...projectile.... I couldnt handle watching him go through it and constant messes on the floor to clean up literally 3-4 times a day. We then tried a different formula of blue buffalo...same thing... he has been on natural choice for almost a month...his stool is normal unless he gets hold of too many treats or someone elses food...even just a cpl kibbles. we will try oatmeal...do you buy pre-packaged no flavor?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
yes we have slowly switched, had him since march and this is the 3rd food...first we did blue buffalo and his diarrhea was HORRIBLE watery...projectile.... I couldnt handle watching him go through it and constant messes on the floor to clean up literally 3-4 times a day. We then tried a different formula of blue buffalo...same thing... he has been on natural choice for almost a month...his stool is normal unless he gets hold of too many treats or someone elses food...even just a cpl kibbles. we will try oatmeal...do you buy pre-packaged no flavor?
ugg...projectile....im so glad that hasn't happend to me yet (knock on wood)

yeah, just the plain stuff. I just buy generic "oats"

I've never tried BLUE but yeah natural choice seems to work good for lots of dogs. Check out natural balance if you get the chance...its good food without spending 55$ a bag...its in the 40$ range for a big bag.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will check it out. We just switched out big boy on kirklands from costco and were considering switching the pup to that. Would you recommend that as well? Will go buy some oats today and start slowly adding that in :) ty so much for the suggestions!!!! my baby needs it

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
will check it out. We just switched out big boy on kirklands from costco and were considering switching the pup to that. Would you recommend that as well? Will go buy some oats today and start slowly adding that in :) ty so much for the suggestions!!!! my baby needs it
No worries :)

Kirkland is decent food... I used it once or twice...can't remember why we stopped...I think Emma was allergic to it...but shes allergic to most foods.

;)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We will check out the price difference between natural balance and natural choice as well as the protein levels because we think all the protein was not working for him, we werent sure tho. again thank you! He will appreciate the addition of oatmeal or even greenbeans I am sure :)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
I just adopted a dog and have had a similar issue with loose/soft stools. I have stopped giving him most pre-made treats and started making my own (just cooked chicken, etc) this helped but he still had loose stools. Now I supplement his kibble with my own version of "wet food" pumpkin (not pie filling, just plain canned pumpking) or unsweetened apple sauce, plain yogurt or low fat, low salt cottage cheese, cooked plain oatmeal, brown rice, or barley. I then add a reasonably healthy protein, a cooked egg, cooked ground turkey etc. I use this homemade stuff as I would a canned dog food. no more loose stools and Clover, seems more excited about his meal, more satisfied after eating and NO MORE LOOSE STOOLS! He gets two meals a day, once in the morning and once in the evening with some chew treats/bones during the day. I have considered making all of his dog food but I like mixing with a premade food because if for some reason I couldn't make his food, he would be okay just eating the kibble which is a good quality and contains all the right nutrients. As far as the eating so fast, keep feeding in small amounts, that cannot hurt your dog, whereas too much at once can. For treats, lots of dogs will accept their dry food as a treat because you are handing it to them.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
620 Posts
You might also get a Brakefast bowl for your dog. They have 3 upright pieces in the bowl so that your dog has to work a bit harder to get the food. It helped my hungry sheltie to slow down on his gulping a little.

And I feed green beans as a tummy filler too.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everybody for the info! I think we are going to try green beans and maybe some oatmeal in small portions. I was thinking of trying the bowls meant for dogs who scarf down their food so maybe today I will see if they have them at walmart if not ill run to petco or petsmart.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
You might also get a Brakefast bowl for your dog. They have 3 upright pieces in the bowl so that your dog has to work a bit harder to get the food. It helped my hungry sheltie to slow down on his gulping a little.

And I feed green beans as a tummy filler too.
thats what its called!! I could see it in my head but couldn't remember the name.. yep those work wonderfully.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well he sure loves oatmeal LOL Now how much do I give him and how often? every meal? once a day?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
well he sure loves oatmeal LOL Now how much do I give him and how often? every meal? once a day?
My vet recommended it every meal but that was for an upset tummy.

Personally I give it in the morning and a few spoon fulls per dog though I don't really think theres a right or wrong amount.

I find they can't chew it well so thats why i do the small amounts, so they are not slapping their gums for a half hour....lol

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool. I give it to him right now in the afternoon with 1/2 cup of kibble, once he goes on the twice a day feeding I may do it a little in the AM and PM to help fill his belly. I feel bad for the lil guy lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts