Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've run into a pit bull owner who was almost that bad--and kept saying critical things about terriers (I have a terrier mix who was with me at the time) in comparison to the wonders of pit bulls. Guess she didn't realize that pit bulls are classified as terriers by the AKC, and I suppose I could have enlightened her about that, but I decided simply ignoring her comments was more appropriate, given the situation.

On the other hand, I will also say that one of the best informed dog owners I've ever run into was a young man with a pit bull who had gone to great pains to make sure he understood the breed and its entire history thoroughly before he got one and whose dog was beautifully trained. So, it's not that I have a thing about pits; I just had a thing about the above-mentioned pit owner, who also was unable to control her dog appropriately; I saw it try to go after multiple dogs, which is why I didn't want my dog anywhere near hers, as at 22 pounds, he could easily have been hurt by a larger, aggressive dog, whether it was a pit bull or a standard poodle or an Airedale. It wasn't the breed I was objecting to--it was the particular dog/handler combination, but I guess she saw my reluctance to get near her and her dog as a comment on the fact that he was a pit bull as opposed to a reactive, inappropriately controlled dog that I'd seen go after a toy poodle and scare its elderly owner to death (fortunately, someone was there to step in on time and keep a disaster from happening). But that's what led to the "anti-terrier" remarks that I chose to ignore, though at the time, my dog was on his back in the lap of a ten year old girl, eyes closed, in a state of bliss as she rubbed his tummy, so I'm not sure what she thought her comments about terrier aggression were going to make anyone think that was true of him.

She also kept going on about how her dog was an absolute angel at home, and that may well have been true, but she clearly was not comfortable in a situation where there were other dogs about nor was she or her husband, because of some physical limitations (bad knees, bad hip), able to control her appropriately when she acted out. It was just not a good match between dog and situation and/or dog and owners, simply because they were not recognizing their dog's particular issues and were not physically strong enough to restrain her when she reacted badly about other dogs being near her--and as it was a TDI training class, other dogs were obviously going to be near her. I don't know what happened to them, but I do know that they were spoken to privately by those running the course and never finished the course. My terrier mix did, passed the course test--and is but a few visits away from his first TDI therapy dog title.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
LMAO....Dog Racist...LOL

----
Stormy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.