Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys carry with you or what is your approach to defend and protect your dog from an approaching unleashed dog (area with leash laws)?

In the past 3 months, I have encountered three unleashed and uncontrolled dogs running up to my puppy. The first time was okay as my puppy was too busy sniffing other things to notice the small dog running up and sniffing his butt for 1 second (the owner was no where to be seen). The second time, a small dog bolted out from the house onto the front lawn and went straight up to my dog (little scuffle). I was caught off guard and annoyed but the owner at least apologised. Today, a staffordshire terrier came charging at us while his owner was 5 metres behind and not doing anything to stop the scuffle. I was so pissed off and started yelling at the dog and his owner who thought it was funny that my dog was attacked by his dog. I've spent ages training my 6 month old puppy to ignore other dogs on walks by playing fetch with him on a long line while other dogs are walking by across the road by and distract him with games whenever he sees another dog across the road and becomes fixated.

WHY DON'T PEOPLE LEASH THEIR DOGS WHEN THEY DON'T HAVE CONTROL OVER THEIR DOGS?!

I will carry an umbrella from now on and I just bought spray shield online. Is this what people generally do or are there other approaches?
What should I do if my dog becomes frightened of other dogs while walking on leash?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I have a stick that Tessa carries - multi-purpose, we use it for fetch in the park, It gives Tessa a job on her walk which makes her happy, and I can use it against off leash dogs that approach when Tessa is on leash. Tessa also knows to come behind me and sit.

We have had issues with a doodle that lives on our block, I don't think the guy even owns a leash. The dog has run up to my dog - who will gladly teach it the meaning of no, the neighbour's rottie - causing a scuffle, and a local sheltie. He's been reported by all of us but until he's caught off leash with his dog, they can't do anything.

Reactions: Cynna

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Stella and I have been rushed by 3 dogs on our block. Luckily they were all small and she's tolerant, so it wasn't really an issue. But if I were you I would
use that sprayshield, and I personally started carrying an air horn to the dog park. It might be good to have some treats to throw as well. If any specific dogs continually become a problem you should contact your local animal control.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Following. This has happened to me many times. In my neighborhood there are no leash laws to my knowledge. My dog and i have been rushed many times by dogs. Luckily non have been aggressive and my lab certainly isnt aggressive. Normally I keep my dogs attention on me and keep moving but i actually had a dog follow me for quite a ways so I doubled back and started knocking on doors to find the owner.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Trucker is super dog friendly and I would just have to say "Yes, It's Okay" and he would be good. He always looks for approval before he goes to meet another dog. I am more worried about the unfriendly ones then the over friendly ones.

I wear a backpack when I walk in our neighborhood (it has a towel, a ball, a collapsible bowel, water, etc.) and I will use it as a weapon against another dog if they tried to attack my dog.

There is a HUGE pit that the owners don't control (scream at) and never leash that is "walked" 3 or 4 times a week in my neighborhood. They do this at night, between 5 and 8 so I just avoid walking Trucker at that time. I have heard the dog on 3 separate occasions being yelled at to "LET THEM GO". I have personally seen it attack another dog once while its owners screamed at it to "LET THEM GO" but made no move to speed up their pace to get their sooner.
I am terrified of this dog.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Trucker is super dog friendly and I would just have to say "Yes, It's Okay" and he would be good. He always looks for approval before he goes to meet another dog. I am more worried about the unfriendly ones then the over friendly ones.

I wear a backpack when I walk in our neighborhood (it has a towel, a ball, a collapsible bowel, water, etc.) and I will use it as a weapon against another dog if they tried to attack my dog.

There is a HUGE pit that the owners don't control (scream at) and never leash that is "walked" 3 or 4 times a week in my neighborhood. They do this at night, between 5 and 8 so I just avoid walking Trucker at that time. I have heard the dog on 3 separate occasions being yelled at to "LET THEM GO". I have personally seen it attack another dog once while its owners screamed at it to "LET THEM GO" but made no move to speed up their pace to get their sooner.
I am terrified of this dog.
This is why id be more apt to get pepper spray as opposed to sprayshield. If this kind of dog atttacked my dog id get it off spray it then most likely have to spray the stupid owners who dont care. Now take that with a grain of salt. A dog attacks my dog, i forcibly seprate the two then spray with sprayshield, the ignorant ownera are going to be pissed that i just sprayed their dog. Even though its a unharmful product, they wont know that so then theyll come and probably get aggressive so ill need a deterant for them to.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Honestly, unrestrained (and dogs with invisible fences, which do nothing) are a HUGE problem in my area. I'm at the point now where I can't walk Aspen down the street because I'm afraid for us. She's SO friendly to everyone but not all of these other dogs are. I could go on and on haha

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've only been charged at by a few dogs and they were all bluffs. I walk three dogs so I'm sure it intimidates them. I have pepper spray and an airhorn in my backpack. Hitting an attacking dog can be ineffective and could even cause them to turn on you. A few months ago my basset hound, Shorty was attacked at the dog park. There were four people hitting on this dog and he would not let go. It was easily one of the scariest things I've had happen. It took us all a few minutes to get the other dog off Shorty. I had finally remembered the water bottle in my bag and squirted it in his face. That got him to let go but he bit down again. Luckily he grabbed onto Shorty's collar and I was able to unhook it and drag Shorty away while the owner pulled her dog away. After that I looked up ways to break up a dog fight and one site I found said to grab the dogs by their back legs and pick them up. They have to let go or fall over.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I'm suddenly feeling very lucky. I've never been rushed by any dogs, people in my neighborhood seem to be very good for leashing their dogs/not letting them leave the yard.
There is a pretty funny poodle mix that will charge down the driveway towards us, barking it's head off, but will NOT go passed the end of the driveway.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I've only been charged at by a few dogs and they were all bluffs. I walk three dogs so I'm sure it intimidates them. I have pepper spray and an airhorn in my backpack. Hitting an attacking dog can be ineffective and could even cause them to turn on you. A few months ago my basset hound, Shorty was attacked at the dog park. There were four people hitting on this dog and he would not let go. It was easily one of the scariest things I've had happen. It took us all a few minutes to get the other dog off Shorty. I had finally remembered the water bottle in my bag and squirted it in his face. That got him to let go but he bit down again. Luckily he grabbed onto Shorty's collar and I was able to unhook it and drag Shorty away while the owner pulled her dog away. After that I looked up ways to break up a dog fight and one site I found said to grab the dogs by their back legs and pick them up. They have to let go or fall over.

This is the same reason that pepper spray can be bad. The whole situation is a horrid one.

You have to make sure you have dog strength pepper spray to start out with. Then make sure the wind isn't blowing toward you and/or your dog. And the dog still could turn and attack you. I can't even chance pepper spray because if it hits me with my asthma I might end up in the hospital seriously in trouble or dead.

I make sure Trucker has on a harness that protects as much of him as possible and I take the course of best action I have. Avoidance then I am going to try to hit him hard enough that we can get to safety.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I had to get Shorty a new collar because his was mangled. It was a leather collar with some square and circle metal rivets, the metal was dented. All collars are now going to be good quality leather with metal designs if possible. Maybe a little paranoid but it makes me feel better. If he didn't have that collar I dread to think of the damage that other dog could have caused. And I like leather collars.

I know pepperspray isn't always going to work and it could back fire on you. An airhorn could too. I don't know what else to carry. A knife? I really don't want to hurt the other dog, but I will do what I have to to protect mine. I'm not mad at that dog that attacked at the dog park. I'm upset with the owner. Avoiding the other dog is best, no one gets hurt that way and you are not forced to do something you don't want to do. Hopefully nothing ever happens.

Reactions: Cynna

·
Registered
884 Posts
Ugh, this one part of dog ownership I did not miss when I stopped taking Dynamo out on walks.
And it's one part of dog ownership I worry about getting into again. I go through the steps in my head.
I did carry a big stick/cane at times, and most dogs who are really just being bullies/mouthy/snarky will respect that. If they take it one step further, it still works...but....
even if you don't actually use it, the other dogs owner will not like you. I'm hoping for a less aggressive way of handling it. My new dog will be 'stuck on a leash' for a few weeks or months, and I don't want him getting mobbed by dogs during that period.
Anyone know a one liner, two or three word sentence that can be shouted over a distance to get people to leash their dog? (not exactly kidding when I consider yelling 'he has mange' but I'm a lousy liar).
I also saw something called 'pet convincer' that delivers a stream of air, probably enough to distract an obnoxious dog.
I've heard folks recommending airhorns, but think that would frighten both dogs and future problems.
I've heard of people throwing a treat party at the on-coming dog/s but would wonder if this would work with bullies looking for trouble or just with friendly goofy dogs that wouldn't cause problems anyway.
Just mulling through options with one of those thorny issues.
Will practice yelling 'my dog has mange' and then when he's ready to run off-leash, 'all cured', so far my most peaceful solution.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Ugh, this one part of dog ownership I did not miss when I stopped taking Dynamo out on walks.
And it's one part of dog ownership I worry about getting into again. I go through the steps in my head.
I did carry a big stick/cane at times, and most dogs who are really just being bullies/mouthy/snarky will respect that. If they take it one step further, it still works...but....
even if you don't actually use it, the other dogs owner will not like you. I'm hoping for a less aggressive way of handling it. My new dog will be 'stuck on a leash' for a few weeks or months, and I don't want him getting mobbed by dogs during that period.
Anyone know a one liner, two or three word sentence that can be shouted over a distance to get people to leash their dog? (not exactly kidding when I consider yelling 'he has mange' but I'm a lousy liar).
I also saw something called 'pet convincer' that delivers a stream of air, probably enough to distract an obnoxious dog.
I've heard folks recommending airhorns, but think that would frighten both dogs and future problems.
I've heard of people throwing a treat party at the on-coming dog/s but would wonder if this would work with bullies looking for trouble or just with friendly goofy dogs that wouldn't cause problems anyway.
Just mulling through options with one of those thorny issues.
Will practice yelling 'my dog has mange' and then when he's ready to run off-leash, 'all cured', so far my most peaceful solution.

Well the one time I had an aggressive dog trying to attack me while I swung my umbrella and bag around trying to deflect it, all the while the dogs owners were ignoring what was going on, I yelled "Get your dog or I'm going to kick the s*** out of it!!!!", they looked shocked but got the dog.

With loose, unattended, dog so far I've managed to call the dogs bluff and get it to stay back while slowly backing myself and my dogs out of it's territory. Mainly because I've spotted the dogs first, hollered "AH AH, NO" in a deep, serious, voice, while standing still with my dogs behind me and trying to make myself as imposing as possible. Once the dog stops I keep facing it while backing slowly up, If it starts coming towards me I stop and repeat the process. It's worked so far, but I've been lucky that I've spotted the dogs before they got to me and managed to startle them enough to get them to stop. I'd hate to think what would happen if they didn't stop.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reply everyone. So far I'm Understanding That
1. Carry umbrella or some sort of stick/cane
2. Pepper spray or spray shield (not too keen on pepper spray for the reasons mentioned but my spray shield arrived today and I carry it around in my pocket
3. Try to throw treats at the other dog (I'm not sure about that as my dog might go for the treats or the other dog might just ignore the food while running up to us and I won't have time to defend myself using another approach once the dog is upon us.
4. I'm also going to threaten other dog owner if they refuse to listen after I ask politely. Most owners I've met don't usually listen when I ask nicely so I may need to be rude.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14 Posts
At the park there was a dog that had no collar and no owner in sight. He was intact and followed me and my mum (three dogs total) and even tried to mount one of ours in a dominance sort of way. He did NOT care for us and even twitches his lip when I told him to leave. Had to spray water at him. He was at the park again just recently so we threw water again. So frustrating, especially since he was a bit aggressive!

·
Registered
89 Posts
The thing I worry about with bear or pepper spray is you would likely have to spray the owner as well or be prepared for a fight or to get beat up. It could create all sorts of problems, probably legal ones involving assault and police.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I personally have never been in the position of feeling like I need to pepperspray or beat with a stick another person's dog.

With strays I'm a little more nervous because they could have some diseases but all they strays I've seen are more nervous than I am and a loud clap or an aggressive step forward is usually enough to to get them moving

·
Registered
172 Posts
We have loose dogs here sometimes. I go running with my girl a lot and can't really carry much. I take a can of pepper spray and a small pocket knife. Can't carry things much bigger like a stick, as they would get in the way while running.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts