Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ahhh the dreaded black nails. Yes, my dog has them.
Usually Id take her to the groomers and not even worry about it but money is tight right now and now my dogs nails are getting too long.

Any tips to clip or at least shorten them in the meantime? I don't even really know what instruments to use.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You can use dog nail clippers. don't cut your dogs nails to short they will be in A LOT of pain. You can look on YouTube and see a lot of video's of how to trim your dogs nails..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dog nail clippers come in two styles. Guillotine and plier type. I prefer the plier style myself. You can look up how to trim your dogs nails. With black dog nails the important thing is to do it in small amounts, that way if you are coming up on the quick. Also, lots of treats and praise. Always lots of treats and praise.

My dog has never been to a groomer nor has he had the vet do it, but it's one of those things I learned. Saves money and though it might be a bit scary at first, I feel it's a good thing to know.

https://www.rover.com/blog/how-to-trim-your-dogs-black-nails-safely/

·
Registered
3 Posts
You should be really careful. Are all the nails black?

You should use good quality clippers that has a stopper so you can't cut too much at once.

If just some nails are black, start with the others so you can get a feel on how much to cut off. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Usually Id take her to the groomers and not even worry about it but money is tight right now and now my dogs nails are getting too long.

Any tips to clip or at least shorten them in the meantime? I don't even really know what instruments to use.
If you can swing it, I'd get a Dremel. It is by far the easiest, and least intrusive ways to cut nails. I just did all three dogs this morning, and it took me under 10 minutes.

Conversely, you can make a DIY Scratchboard and teach your dog to trim their own nails. There is a great group on Facebook called "Nail Maintenance for Dogs" that has a lot of really valuable resources.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey!

When i just started grooming dogs, trimming their nails was one of my least favorite tasks to be honest. There are couple things you need to do. Try to make this process fun for your dog. Pet him/her and don't forget to reward! never forget to do it :D
Read or watch some guides (this one for example) to find out where the vessels can be and trim just a tiny little bit piece at first. Than you'll both figure the rest out. Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Walking your dog every day for 20-30 minutes on concrete or asphalt should solve the problem. No clippers needed. Last time we clipped our dog's nails was over 2 years ago.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Ugh. I know all about black nails. They're really hard to cut because I have no idea how short I can cut them. I just cut the tip off, maybe a bit more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Take on lap
Clean your dog's nail before trimming it.
Trim much-grown dog nails slowly slowly
Trim dog's nails gently to smooth from all edges.
Give Treat your Doggy after each nail you trim.
Wait about one week and Trim it again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Walking your dog every day for 20-30 minutes on concrete or asphalt should solve the problem. No clippers needed. Last time we clipped our dog's nails was over 2 years ago.
We literally did not clip our first two dog's nails for 24 years. The third dog, the same breed and activity level as the others, needs her nails cut every few months. So you can't generalize on your own limited experience.

Anyhow, I use a pliers type cutter with a stop so i can only cut off an eighth of an inch. Seems to work well. She hates it, but lets me do it without much protest.

I tried a rotary sander, but it was really really slow and she hated it more than the clipper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts