Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 month old male kelpie x border collie. He's an obedient dog at home and well trained, however when we have visitors around he gets overly excited and difficult to control because he just wants to play. He is the same with other dogs but 99% of the time this is when we're walking and I can pull him back on the lead to control him. However a friend brought her dog around to meet mine and my dog got very aggressive and growled at her other dog. He's never shown this kind of behavior before and I'm not sure why. I need advice on how to control my pup and get him to listen to me when he is around other people and other dogs, it's like I don't even exist! Please help!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Whooo that's a lot of dog, a Kelpie and BC, I imagine he has energy to spare! To get your dogs attention, I would recommend teaching a "focus" or "watch me" cue.

Watch Me/Building Attention

Start training this in your house, with no distractions. Once he's got it, (which I'm sure won't take very long), you can start adding distractions. I always start with moving a toy around, veeeeeeeery slowly to start. Then I progress to food in my other hand, tossing a ball, dogs barking etc.

Good luck, also we love pictures around here....:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for your advice, I'll definitely give that a go :) He's got a beautiful nature but yes, lots of energy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.