Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking up how to clip dog nails from different sources, and I have come to the conclusion that either a 45° or 90° cut is ideal. I understand that. What I was wondering though is if there was an ideal way the clippers should be held, or does that even matter? Is it okay to cut dog nails if the handle is horizontal (assuming the dog is sitting upright)? I guess a better way to word my question is... Does it matter if scissor style clippers are cutting from the sides of the nail (when handle is vertical), or is it more ideal for the clippers to cut the top/bottom of the nail (when handle is horizontal)?

·
Super Moderator
3,278 Posts
I don't know - but there is a fabulous Facebook group called Nail Maintenance for Dogs. You may find the answer there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I noticed my dogs nails got crushed a little when the blades were on the top and bottom of the nail, and that keeping the blades on the left and right side of his nails makes a much cleaner cut. That could just be my technique or my clippers just work better that way, but it works for me, so I’m gonna stick to it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts