Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live next to a very busy highway, my puppy (4 months) had never shown any interest in it, but today we were walking around ( on the leash) and she seemed very curious. Should i show it to her and try to get her to understand its dangerous or just not let her go there?
I fear that if she ever escapes or i let her off leash she is going to run straight to it.
Please help

·
Registered
189 Posts
Acclimatize her to it. Take her there and get her used to it. When she’s used to it she should not be as interested. Do some passivity training. Begin in a calmer place and then you can build it up to the busy road. Then get her to be able to listen to you when you’re close to the highway. You should never let her off her lead if you’re not 110% certain that she’s coming 100% of the times she’s called, even if there is dogs, squirrels or cars.

I’m just wondering, why do you think she is interested in the highway?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
You can never trust that she won't decide to run on the highway. If she sees something of interest to her and decides it needs to be investigated, there she goes. IMO you can never leave her off-leash, if she is not inside a fenced protected area. Too many stories of dogs that run onto a nearby highway, for whatever reason, the outcome being their demise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i wasn't letting her off-leash anyway, but what do you think i should do if (on the leash) she wants to explore? Say no and keep walking or show it to her?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you can make time in your walk routine, I would suggest bringing her up as close to the road as you feel comfortable and then stop, turn around and walk back before giving her a treat. Do this regularly and she will start to associate stopping and turning around with getting treats and praise. That could prove very helpful one day if she makes a break for it one day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts