Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apart from the regular medications that you take for any of your mental illness, there are some natural remedies that have been proven quite effective in overcoming most of the mental problems specially anxiety and depression.
Among them, Pet therapy is one the most important remedy to fight your depression as you get an unconditional love, support and companion in the form of your pet. They keep you moving all day and give you a good purpose to your life. These specially trained pets are called Emotional Support Animals and you get a license for them to keep them with you at home or anywhere outside.

Have you had any experience with this natural therapy ?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Not just depression. Ive had experience of dogs and dementia because dogs are non judgemental many dementia patients find them easy to talk to, my mother in law used to read the news paper to my beagle and although she couldnt rememeber if she had eaten she always knew when my dogs had to be fed, Benny would beg and she would look at her watch and say 'no no its not 5 oclock yet' .

Now my husband who has FTD is really benefiting from having dogs around him, they provide routine, relaxation and of course keep him mobile and active which is very important in dementia patients. They are not judgemental if he uses a wrong word or speaks rubbish if he makes a mistake or forgets things and that helps to lower blood pressure and anxiety.

Our dogs are not specially trained but I find that dogs adapt and adjust to owners needs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts